Friday, September 4, 2026

Not As Hot...

 ... but still I had a melted squirrel on the patio this afternoon. I walked to the shelf next to the patio door to put something away and it sprang up from its melt. It stood there watching me out of the corner of its eye until I moved back from the glass. Then it lay back down and glared at me as if daring me to take its picture. Just as I clicked the shutter, it turned its head or you would have seen a squirrel's glare in full force.

 


A Mourning Dove and a couple of Sparrows were checking out the seed that a squirrel knocked out of the round feeder today. The squirrel was off to the side and didn't seem to be threatened by the three birds nearby.

 

Then a rabbit showed up to see if there was anything worth eating left. It was a popular spot under the round feeder this afternoon.

 



I was most grateful yesterday for my evening knitting with friends. We shared a pizza and a delicious home-grown caprese salad. I brought cheese and crackers from Aldi, which is an excellent place to find such delicacies and KE brought the chocolate cake because we were celebrating two birthdays. 

 

 

In the afternoon, the Red-bellied Woodpecker visited the refilled suet nuggets feeder but didn't pose as nicely as it did yesterday when there were hardly any nuggets there. Not very considerate.

 


Today's drawing prompt was Rose. I was leery of that because a rose is such a complex flower but it wasn't too bad. The first one on the left doesn't look very rosy, I think, but the others are okay. She drew another one but I'd run out of room so I didn't draw that one.

 

At Friday Night Knitting, I added a bunch of rounds in the Tangelo color. I was going to switch back to the Pale Orange but I weighed what I have left of that color and I'm not confident I'd have enough if I switched now. So I'll keep going with the Tangelo until I run out.

 

I spent a lot of the afternoon on Substack reading other writers' stories and subscribing to some of their Substacks. I've learned that if I comment on people's posts, they read mine, and either "like" them or follow or subscribe, so my subscriber number has jumped over the last couple of weeks. All good. The stuff I write isn't high art but people seem to enjoy it so I'll keep doing it, keep reading theirs, and commenting. Little by little I'm building up a readership. Slow but steady. I also posted my September Writing Progress letter on Substack (with a few edits) which has earned a few "likes." Makes me feel good.

--Barbara 

2 comments:

Aunt Barb said...

I hope my comment is accepted this morning. I tried three times yesterday but it never appeared. Fingers crossed for today's effort.

Aunt Barb said...

Yay!! I'm back.