Saturday, September 5, 2026

Bring On the Squirrels

I hung up my new, horse head squirrel feeder this afternoon and filled the snout with corn kernels. I think maybe I hung it too high but that remains to be seen. (It's kind of creepy looking, isn't it?) A squirrel found the kernels that fell out when I overfilled it but I didn't see it investigate the horse head. I may have to go out with clippers and trim back the greenery under it. Time will tell.

 

A Downy Woodpecker couldn't make up its mind which feeder to eat from.  Suet nuggets or birdseed? The first time I (almost) saw it, it landed on the back side of the round feeder at the same time a Sparrow landed on the opposite side, so the feeder didn't spin. That meant I got a glimpse of it but couldn't take a picture. The next time I saw it, it was on the nuggets, but the shot of it on the birdseed was better. So that's the one you get to see.

 

The gratitude journal for yesterday was a bit of a puzzle. What to draw? I finally ended up with a weather report, 2 zooms, and exploring Substack to find other writers, which I did and got more subscribers and followers. Very satisfying.

 


Dad's roses are still showing off. It wasn't sunny this morning and the flash was turned off so the rose looks very dark. I don't care, I still like it.

 

Sneaker was the drawing prompt today. We drew a Converse-like high top and a couple of regular sneakers. I kind of like the letters the best.

 


I was going to take down the Oriole feeder but then realized that I had another orange half in the fridge so I took down the jelly dish and put out the orange. As soon as I went back inside, the bees that are clustered around the leaky Hummingbird feeder flew over to the orange and got busy sipping the good juice. 

 

In the afternoon, I went to the pharmacy to pick up a pair of Rxs, asked if the Covid boosters had come in, and they had. So I got one. When I got home, I went downstairs to repair the pouch pocket on OJ's favorite shirt. It was a quick and easy fix. I spent the rest of the day trying to cut back Three Cheers for Murder (I have too much description) and add in more sleuth detecting. I'm not very good at that last part but I'll try to do better. DD recommended I rewatch The Sheep Detectives movie, which is a classic cozy mystery, to pick up tips. I'll do that tomorrow.

--Barbara 

No comments: