I saw a squirrel going in and out of the horse head squirrel feeder this afternoon. It was moving so fast there was no way I could get a picture even if I was closer. It would stick its head into the feeder making it swivel around, then come out with a kernel in its front paws to eat it on the retaining wall. After a few assaults on the horse head feeder, the squirrel moved down the wall to the cob corn and climbed up there. I guessed it chose that feeder because it holds still.
A few more of the tiny yellow mums are blooming. I keep hoping that more and more of them will bloom making the whole mound a vibrant yellow. So far, no luck.
Sparrows figured out quickly that I filled the round feeder and wasted no time landing on the perches. In this picture you can see one of them just coming in for a landing. There are a lot more of them in the flock than I thought. I spent enough time up filling the cob corn and horse head feeder that the Sparrows showed up and there must have been twenty of them or more. I love the sound their wings make when they take off. Not as much as when Mourning Doves fly away but still a good sound. I've been seeing Canada Geese flying over, not going south, but they're starting to move around.
A Downy Woodpecker joined the Sparrows for a bit. It chose a time when there was only one Sparrow on the feeder so it could jump around from feeding port to feeding port. I keep thinking it'll land on the nuggets but it likes the seeds these days.
Today's drawing prompt was Cactus. They were okay to draw.
The thing I was most grateful for yesterday was getting the new The Seaview Series poster but I was also grateful that I took a couple boxes of tosses to the charity drop-off spot. Today I hauled up two bins filled with fabric and took them to Goodwill. I started out opening them and looking at the fabric, then I realized that was a crazy thing to do. If I looked at the fabric, I'd decide it was too good to donate and just keep it, even though I probably haven't looked at it in over a year. So I closed the lids, humped the heavy things slowly up the basement stairs, loaded them into my car, and took them to Goodwill immediately. I was planning to walk today but figured that hauling those heavy things around took the place of a walk.
I got stuck while I was writing again today. It's frustrating when I can't figure out how to implement one of the recommendations from the Manuscript Analysis. I read the parts it wants changed and I think it doesn't need changing, so I move on. Then I think maybe I'm wrong, and go back over it, changing a word here or there but essentially not changing the sense of the scene. I also worry that if I take all the suggestions, the work is less my own. I'll figure it out one of these days.
--Barbara






1 comment:
I hope all those little yellow mum buds bloom too. It looks like there enough of them to make an impressive show. Maybe more squirrels will discover the horse head now that one brave fellow ventured in.
Post a Comment