Saturday, June 23, 2018

I Made Sewing Today

I had some sheets to wash today, two loads' worth, so I used the time in the basement to sew up the hybrid Shirt no. 1 & Dress no. 1 fish dress.  I think I like it.  It needs a good wash and dose of fabric softener because it still smells like being stuffed in a bin for the last 10 years or so.  It's been an age since I've had or made something that's as lightweight and swirly as this stuff, it feels silky but I'm absolutely certain that it's polyester.  It's an interesting mash-up of two patterns, not sure if I'd do the side-seam pockets again (they feel a little low) but I'm proud of my daring putting two patterns together on the fly and having something wearable in the end.





The spiderwort looked especially pretty this morning in with all of the green daisy leaves around it.


 



The carrots are going great guns but I think the chipmunks are harvesting the infant bell peppers as soon as they reach pea-size.  Grr.



 
As the Master Gardener I spoke with at the University Extension office last month predicted, the blueberries are coming back.  They won't make berries this year but the rabbits didn't kill them by nibbling the branches all the way back to the ground.






After supper I about doubled the rows on the left front and am much happier with the gentle
angle the left side is taking.  This is 21 rows on the way to 80 or more (depends on how long that is) (and halfway to where I was when I ripped it all out last night) and over those 80 rows I need to decrease one stitch every third row for a total of 38 stitches decreased (50 stitches down to 12).  When I get closer to the length I want I can decrease every other row if need be and it won't look too odd.  I hope.

I found a package of chicken thighs in the clearance bunker at Festival Foods the other day so I fired up the Weber and cooked them for supper and supper and supper.  (there were 6)  Man, there's nothing like chicken on the grill, is there?  Even if you don't eat the skin, which we don't.

Didn't write last night, it was too late when I finally got to bed.  Time to wrap this up and hit the sack so I have a few minutes to crank out some words by hand before sliding into dreamland.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Love the swirly dress. Perfect for summer - lightweight and printed with fish. Good going. I'm going to try to get Paul to fire up our grill today. Nothing like any kind of meat on the grill. But I never do it. Somehow that became his chore in our world. And he does regard it as a chore.

rochard said...

Yes, the swirly dress is adorable!