Sunday, June 24, 2018

Lazy Sunday

I didn't accomplish much today--and we all know that my days aren't complete without a
laundry list of finished chores or things made.  Part of me feels like that makes today a failure day but another part of me (probably the more mature part of me) thinks that makes today a relaxing day.  I spent a bunch of time downstairs ironing the facings on a quartet of Hawaiian shirts I made Durwood years ago and then stitching them down, since over the years the interfacing hasn't aged well so they're hard to button since the facings are all crumpled.  Then I unearthed a few scraps of that turquoise fabric I made a tunic out of and fashioned some inserts to make the neckline a bit narrower to cover my bra straps.  They're not perfect, one of them needs a little tuck at the shoulder to take out some excess but it'll do


Dad's roses are putting on their summer show.  There are lots of buds on the canes and this clump of blossoms lured me out in the early morning to admire and sniff them.  Remember how roses used to smell?  These still do, the fragrance wasn't hybridized out of them.


 

 
Right next to the roses the four pots of coleus are looking beautiful too.  I'm a big fan of the lime green one and the pink and green one too.  As long as I pinch off the flowers they bush out and don't get too leggy and tall.  They're a great plant for the south side and they tolerate my brand of neglect well.



 

There's a baby tomato on the bush Early Girl plant.  Woohoo!



 



And the bales are composting.  See the mushrooms?


June 24--Thomas Cole, The Voyage of Life:  Youth.  "It's an allegory," Rita said looking at the painting.  "What's an allegory?" Eddy asked.  "Looks like an old painting of an angel, a kid in a boat on a river, and a castle in the sky."  Rita nodded.  "It's that on the surface but the angel could mean birth, the boat on the river could be childhood, and that castle in the sky might represent the future."  Eddie's mouth turned down in a frown.  "Why can't anyone just paint a picture?  All this thinking makes me tired."


I noticed what looked like a leaf in the birdbath this afternoon, then it moved again and I realized it was a butterfly.  Soon it moved and opened its wings.  Isn't it pretty?  I don't know what kind it is.  I think I have a butterfly book downstairs; I'll have to look it up.  Tomorrow.  'Night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your comment about the coleus reminded me to go out and nip off the tallest stalk on one I bought yesterday. The rest are bunched up and looking happy but that rogue needs to go. Even on days you feel you haven't done much, you've done so much. Busy, busy Barb!