Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Little Garden, A Little Yarn

I've never bought a tuberous begonia before but always admired the ones our across the street neighbor on Liberty St. planted under his living room window so when Stein's had a coupon for one for about three bucks I got one.  Remembering that Mr. Brand had his on the north side of his house I potted this one up and set it on the old park bench that faces northeast and it likes it there.  See?




The "thank you for the tomato cages" tomato plant is growing like a weed.  It's got a bunch of little green tomatoes on it too.


 





I got up way too early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, couldn't even manage a nap, so I sat on the couch for most of the day and turned the heel and knitted the gusset of the Blues Anklet.  Now I get to knit around and around and around for about 8" until it's time to toe.  I'm so glad I decided to make an Eye of Partridge heel flap because doing that wove the variegated colors together in a very interesting way.





June 20--Edward Henry Potthast, Brighton Beach.  The water was cold, washed onto the sand after a trip around Iceland and borne on the north wind to the shore.  Still the children played tag with the waves, built sand castles, and swam in the shallows until their mothers called them, blue-lipped and shivering, out to be bundled into thick towels and get the heat rubbed back into them.  Wicker baskets held cheese and bologna sandwiches, celery filled with peanut butter and raisins, and chocolate chip cookies as big as saucers for dessert.  After lunch the mothers settled the children in the shade of beach umbrellas to rest for an hour because everyone knows if you swim right after eating you'll get a cramp and drown.

Now there's an old wives' tale that I bet will never die.  I swear I'm going to be in bed long before 10 o'clock, I'm that tired.  Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Too bad you couldn't take a page out of Durwood's book and have a lovely little mid-afternoon nap. Of course, then you'd have nothing to show us voyeurs. Glad you got some knitting done and I hope you slept like a baby last night.