Thursday, June 28, 2018

Another One of Those Days

...that sucked me up in the morning and spit me out in the late afternoon and all I had to show for it was a cauliflower ear from being on the phone so much and the feeling that I'd run a couple 10k races.


This morning the day lilies started blooming--and you can see some milkweed in there too so the Monarch Butterflies should come around again.

Speaking of critters coming around, what haven't come around are hummingbirds.  I keep refreshing the birdie juice in the feeder and Durwood keeps an eye out for them.  He was sure he saw one zoom by, take a sip, and dart away this afternoon but I didn't see it even though I turned as soon as he said, "hummingbird!"  *sigh*



Durwood's brother and his wife are coming for a short visit this weekend and I promised my sister-in-law that I'd make some of my WW roasted red pepper hummus for them.  I did that after supper, now all I have to do is buy a bag or two of pita chips and some baby carrots or something.  Yeah, baby carrots, we're almost out of those anyway.

I didn't take a picture of supper but it was a good one.  First, an ear of corn on the cob for each of us, his with butter, mine without.  (surprisingly it's really good all by itself.  I can't wait until Sunny Hill Farms corn is available)  For the main course we had broiled sesame-lime swordfish and fresh green beans.  For dessert Durwood had chocolate pudding and I had chocolate ice cream.  Yum.  Sorry I didn't take pictures but I was too hungry.

June 28--Robert Cozad Henri, Boy and Rainbow.  The storm had been fierce.  Rain fell like arrows drilling into the soil, lightning forged jagged trails between iron gray clouds and the ground, and thunder rumbled nonstop.  Caleb sheltered in McCoy's tumbledown shed at the edge of the pasture.  His dog, Rags, flattened herself on the dirt floor and tried to disappear.  Once the storm moved away the rain slacked off, dragged east by the clouds, and Caleb watched for the sun to emerge.  The first shafts of sunlight threw rainbows over the farm.  He wished he could find the end of the rainbow where there was supposed to be a pot of gold.  He didn't really believe in it but he'd like to check it out.

Hopefully I'll have something more to show you tomorrow than some incipient flowers and a Tupperware of hummus.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

With all you do, it's a wonder you even have two photos to share. Sound like you were chained to the phone and that can take up a ton of time. Weekend guests for us - LD and Debbie coming to pick up that car my friend and I vetted earlier. He trusted our judgment so hope he isn't disappointed.