Thursday, June 14, 2018

Cruising Down the River...

... only we cruised up the river tonight.  The Bay Lakes Knitting Guild's annual picnic morphed into a dinner cruise on the River Tyme riverboat that docks in DePere, about 5 miles south of Green Bay.  It was the perfect evening, warm and sunny without a lot of wind.  A local restaurant catered the meal.  I ordered the chicken breast and penne with red pepper cream sauce; it was very good.  There were 3 choices and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal.  After finishing dinner some of us went up onto the top deck to watch the houses where the rich folk live go by and enjoy the glorious evening.  I could do that again.








 

I took my cardi sleeve along and knitted the last five rows while watching the shore go by.  All I had to do once I got home was cast off.  I'll cast on a front tomorrow night at Friday Night Knitting.



This afternoon I finished the pumpkin linen Dress no. 2 and instead of putting self pockets on I dug out a remnant of print linen that has orange and purple flower blobs on it and used that.  I like it.  I'm very sad that I didn't buy more than a yard of any of the print linen fabrics I have in the bin.  I bought them intending to make project bags, not garments so I guess I can't berate myself too much.  I miss Hancock Fabrics.  They had better clothing fabrics to choose from but it's no use crying over long-closed stores.  I'll just have to be content with my stockpile of fabric and get on with cutting and sewing.  This dress was the last of my last cutting weekend so this weekend I get to cut more.  Goodie.  Besides it's got 3/4 length sleeves so it's too warm to wear now.  I need something summery.



Eagle-eyed Durwood spotted this hummingbird at the feeder today.  It's a female and she didn't stay long but I managed to snap this one picture.






I planted my butterfly weed and lantana today.  I put the 3 butterfly weed plants (one of which is that rosemary looking plant in the lower left next to the recovering blueberry) in the fenced enclosure with the blueberries and put the lantana in a pot.  I wanted to put it in a hanging pot but don't have one so I'll have to see if I can't pick one up over the weekend and I need some more potting soil too.  I know you don't need to know that last part but if I type it here I have a better chance of remembering to get some.

We have baby tomatoes!  Look!  These are on the thank-you plant my knitting friend FW sent after I bequeathed her my tomato cages.  Durwood can't wait.


June 14--John Singer Sargent, Two Girls with Parasols.  Jesamin and Avery walked along with their arms linked, each of them carrying a frilly parasol in their other hand.  Neither of them wanted to open her parasol because the other girl would get poked by the ribs or get her hair disarranged or her hat knocked askew.  So they walked along talking, totally unaware of the disapproving looks of the matrons they passed because the sun touched their faces.

Not one of my best efforts but I'm just glad that I write at all.  Time to hit the hay.  I've had a busy day.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The river cruise sounds lovely. Nice way to see how the other half lives. Love this latest dress. The patch pockets are perfect.