Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Six Years Ago Today

Not my favorite anniversary by far but six years ago today my beloved Durwood passed away. I spent the day concentrating on dredging up happy memories of our 42 years of wedded bliss. We used to joke that we'd been married so long because he was a traveling salesman who was gone more than 50% of the time! It was kinda true because when he retired we'd play "Durwood's Out of Town" a couple times a year. That meant he'd find a motel room in town for two nights, go to the Asian buffet restaurant that he loved and I wasn't crazy about, and I'd have the house to myself for a couple days. It worked for us plus it made people laugh.



I pulled out Cute Chibi Animals today and drew a Red Panda and a Rhinoceros. They turned out pretty well although they turned out smaller than I anticipated (plus I had to look up how to spell rhinoceros just now).


I watched two more episodes of Somebody Feed Phil tonight--Lisbon and New Orleans--and now I want to go both places and eat. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans for the jazz but now I want to go for the food and the jazz. I only managed a couple rounds of knitting tonight. I just wasn't in the mood.



This peace lily plant is one that someone sent to Durwood's funeral and it's still alive after six years. I don't know why I keep it because every time I look at it I think "funeral plant." Not very cheerful but since it's just about the only plant in the house I've gotta keep it.

 

I got this picture in a text from KW this afternoon. I took a bag of hats from CS and a bag of hats from me to KW for her to take along to the chemo department at Mayo. She laid them all out today and counted them. Seventy-one hats! That's a lotta hats.


I spent the afternoon reassembling the manuscript with the 3rd person parts that I am in love with and think that the story is less without. Not all of them but some. This is now the 6th iteration of the manuscript and it's only 125 pages long. How many more versions will I go through before I'm finished? I have no idea.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Oh my goodness -- so many hats!! Very impressive. I've always loved that picture of you and Durwood. You're both so beautiful. And do concentrate on the many happy memories you have of all your years together. XXXXX