Sunday, April 23, 2017

Darned

It took longer than I thought it would but I managed to get the three errant sock toe stitches caught and reknitted back to where they belonged.  Then I cut a short length of the remainder of the sock yarn, ran it through the remaining stitch and threaded the ends into and out of stitches along the side, top and bottom of the sock so it darned well better stay where I put it this time.  So there.


Today was Breakfast Burrito making day.  It's really a very easy and not too time consuming process, although I did use up all of the frozen diced bell peppers (so I made an emergency run to ALDI for a 3-pack so Durwood will dice and freeze them when he's done reading today's paper).  I think the most time consuming part of the entire operation is hand-shredding the cheddar cheese.  I'm not a fan of pre-shredded cheese; I think it has something on it to keep it from sticking together which makes it less melty and more plasticky, but that could just be me.


It was such a gorgeous day yesterday that I thawed out some chicken, marinated it, and grilled it on the patio.  While waiting for the coals to heat up I raked away all the leaves that had blown onto the patio since last fall.  Once again, for the second day in a row, the breeze managed to blow the smoke from the lighting charcoal exactly where I was so my clothing and I smelled like I'd been bathing in a campfire for the second day in a row.  I was just thinking that I should have moved the grill out onto the grass but I have a feeling that no matter where I put it the smoke will blow on me.  I am a smoke magnet.


I worked some more on the yoke of LC's sweater.  I kept thinking I'd be farther along but the pattern keeps telling me to almost double the stitches every 7th row or so.  That's okay, I'd rather this be something she'll wear for more than a year.

April 23--Henri Manuel, Claude Monet in his Studio.

Light caught on ripples
illuminates lilies
shyly peeking out
from pond grasses.
Paint communicates
the essence of the garden
without being too blunt
about it.
~~~~~

I heard a bluejay out back this morning for the first time in months.  Of course, the squirrels had emptied the peanut wreath so it never got anywhere near a place where I could take its picture but that means more birds are hanging around so maybe we'll see some strangers at the feeders.  I want to see bluebirds but all I get for my mealworms is grackles.  *sadly shakes head*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Is that still some of the pink plastic wrap from your mother's stash? How can that be? Raining here today and a bit cooler. Springtime.