Thursday, August 4, 2016

My Blossom Ends are Rotting!

Two more tomatoes from the cherry-ish tomato plant have it--in spades.  So I got the Epsom Salts from downstairs and mixed up a gallon jug with 1/4 cup salts and poured it on the plant.  I watered everything well first, I always think that's a good idea so that the soil holds whatever treatment you add instead of it running right through dry soil.  Fingers crossed this does the trick.  I'm leaning toward giving the other two plants a preventative dose tonight when I get home.



This, this right here is why I should be able to stick to the WW plan.  This is a single serving of Quick Cherry Crisp.  You thaw (or semi-thaw if you're impatient like me) and cut in half one cup of frozen sweet cherries, toss in 2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. cornstarch (my no-added-points addition), 1/8 tsp. almond extract, and a pinch of salt.  Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.  Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons low-fat granola on top.  And that's it.  It's all of 4 points and it was delicious.  I'll be making it again, probably tonight.

I finished the Indigo Doublethick Dishcloth this morning.  Well, I guess I finished it last night except for the last row and the bind-off, those I did this morning.  I still have to weave in the tails but it's ready to go.  I don't know why I'm so enamored of making dishcloths like this right now but I'm determined to finish the Black Bean shawl before casting on anything else... except for an Advent Garland mitten so I can show a new knitter how to knit in the round on double points tomorrow night.  Oh, that reminds me, I need to get that training sock I made for teaching sock knitting at Guild a few months back to take along.  

August 4--Ben Mendlowitz, Catboat.  The triangular sail dwarfed the boat.  Cal sat in the stern, his hand on the rudder, keeping the course that Dad had set before going below for a nap.  The wind wasn't blowing too hard and the waves were just right so Cal felt like he had control of things.  They were sailing down the coast, hopping from port to port for a week, just the two of them, before school started again.  The weather had been good which had put Dad in a good mood.  Cal didn't mind a bit of weather.  It made him feel great to challenge himself and win.  He felt so good he got distracted watching some gulls wheel and dive that he didn't notice the dark clouds piling up in the west until they'd pushed a chilly wind around the boat and poured a smattering of cold rain down his back.  He made sure his safety line was secure and stood to go to the hatch to call Dad when a good-size wave pounded the boat and sent it heeling over.

Okay, then.  I need to know more about sailing in coastal waters and the little bays and port towns they could visit or help could come from.  I get to work again today and I have a tank to drop off and two to pick up on my way in.  I really like this working two days a week deal.  I still get a paycheck but I also have lots of time to do the things I like to do.  The best of both worlds, for now.  But with Medicare on my front porch it won't be too long before I'll turn in my key and stay home to play with yarn and fabric all the time.  Won't that be fun?
Adieu, mes cheries.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Hope that Epsom Salts treatment works for your tomatoes. It's too sad to see them semi-rotted! No fair!!!