Monday, August 17, 2015

Mmm, Corn



Durwood found a recipe for Parmesan Corn Pudding in a magazine last week and we decided to make it yesterday.  I kept thinking it was corn BREAD and wondered about it not having any leavening in it, but then I'd look at the name and come to my senses, at least temporarily.  You puree a cup of fresh corn kernels, eggs, milk, grated Parmesan cheese, and cornmeal in the blender, then you stir that into another cup of corn kernels (or what's left from cutting them off of three cobs) and a couple of chopped green onions.  Then you melt a little butter in an ovenproof skillet, pour in the corn mixture, and bake until a toothpick comes out clean.  Oh my, it was good.  I think we both were eyeing the other two servings but we held off in favor of the chicken and zucchini kabobs I grilled to go with it.  Yum.

I got Sudoku Terracotta #9 done last night so that color's complete.  Next come three squares in the Lake color and I cast on the first one and got a little corner started.

When I went out to fill the birdbath and pick a couple cherry tomatoes the sun was just clearing the trees on the horizon.  Looks like a good day.

August 17--Pictorial, #B090.4.1.  Stan watched the green letters and numbers move across the two-line screen.  There was a lot less drama than there must have been when stock reports came on a long narrow strip of paper from a clicking ticker tape machine.  He thought of men with eyeshades, vests over their long-sleeved white shirts sitting hunched over, entering numbers in columned ledgers.  Rows and rows of men in straight lines, all of their heads tilted at the same angle, all of their pencils scratching out a rhythm on the page.  Now a man's future could be ruined by green numbers gliding across the room.  He had a momentary image of piles of glowing green letters and numbers falling off the end of the screen into piles that the custodian swept up at the end of the day and sorted out to be recycled.

I enjoyed goofing off most of yesterday but then I ended up scurrying around making black beans and rice for this week's lunches this morning.  I should have done that yesterday but I didn't.  *shrugs*  I still made it to work.  They're talking about storms here today.  I hope that means that the humidity will blow away.  It's been too hot and too sticky to do anything more than huddle in the air conditioning.  Time to make like work.  Both the UPS and FedEx guys brought me packages to open.  Oh goodie.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Those two little tomatoes look kinda pitiful. Hope you found a way to do something more than just pop each one into your mouth!!