Monday, January 5, 2015

Wolf Moon

This morning when I stuck my hand out to get the newspaper (whoo, dogies, it's cold out there) I saw the full moon on its way to the western horizon.  Freezing or not, I had to take its picture.  Then I checked the birdbath; that was pretty darned frosty too so I topped it up.  Gotta keep that open water in winter.  I know a lot of people put out seed in the winter but I don't think many keep the water heated and thawed for the birds.  When I went out, the birdie tree was alive with birds.  I sprinkled seed, peanuts and a few small, deformed cobs of corn in the branches yesterday when I dragged it home so I'm sure word has gone around.  I listen when I go out to fill feeders to hear who puts out the news that there's fresh seed.  It's usually a chickadee, those little things are fierce and mouthy, but yesterday it was a bluejay's raucous scolding that let me know I was to get away from its peanut feeder and fast.

I got fresh pineapple and blueberries at Aldi on my errands round yesterday so I cut the pineapple and stirred in the blueberries.  Yum.  After supper I mixed together the dough for some Italian semolina bread which will be my contribution to a writing retreat's meals next weekend.  Have you ever seen the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day"?  I think there are a couple three different versions, I have the original version and I am a big fan, BIG fan, of the semolina bread.  Right after they got married DS & DIL1 lived in Missoula, MT and DIL1 worked at an artisan bakery where they made a sesame seed bread called cocodrillo (crocodile).  I fell in love with it and she cut down the recipe for me.  It makes excellent bread but it's complicated and time consuming.  This tastes almost as good and is a snap to make.  It took about 10 minutes to stir together the dough, it'll sit in the fridge until I'm ready to make the bread, and that won't take long either.  If you like bread, you should borrow this book from the library and give it a whirl.  DS even figured out how to approximate our beloved onion bread using one of the recipes in the book.  It's a keeper.

I didn't find one notebook at Goodwill.  Not that I didn't find other goodies to bring home.  There was a 3-CD Glenn Miller collection that now resides on my Kindle, a length of khaki twill and one of a brightly flowered pique that, um, followed me home.  I had to go to the Dollar Tree to get the notebooks and probably cheaper than they'd have been at Goodwill so I got five.  (hey, they're a buck and I've been on a notebook hunt at home for over a week, what would you do?)

January 5--Porlock Productions, 522 Black 20.  The stacks of boards had their ends stained red and there was a "20" stenciled on the ends in black.  Not on each individual board, on the outer edge of the stack.  Seeing it makes me want to rearrange the boards so that the "2" and the "0" don't line up anymore, kind of like a puzzle or a cubist painting.  There's way more than 20 boards in the stack too and I can't figure out what the "20" means.  Is it pile #20?  Were they milled and stacked on the 20th?  Are they for job #20?  I don't know.  I'd like to stop and ask but I don't want to be the "you'll never guess" story at the lumber guy's supper table.

Well I made it to work without freezing solid although the back driver's side door of my car wouldn't open this morning, not that I needed to get in there for anything more than putting in my lunch and knitting bag but it's annoying.  At least it's sunny along with the deadly cold plus wind.  Remind me again why I live here?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

It's supposed to get down to 18 degrees here tomorrow night!! We're going to freeze!!! Plus we'll have Paul's brother and his wife visiting here for two days. Guess we'll all have to huddle around the fireplace! Pray for us!!!