Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Done Ducking

As I suspected I didn't have a minute to play with my duck parts at work yesterday but after supper I snagged the bag of parts, a needle, and scissors and got to work.  It only took about an hour to sew on the tail feathers (which I love), then put the beak and eyes on the head before sewing the body closed and the head to the body.  I love it!  It looks just the way I imagined it would.  Now we can sing "with a quack quack here, and a quack quack there..." and have audio-visual aids.  Next comes a potholder/frog puppet but not until after I get my Design-a-Thon entry #1 on the needles (OTN).  

Look what happened last night.  It snowed.  Not a lot but enough that I really should get out there before I drive off and shovel a bit.  *sigh*  I don't really want to but I will.  Because I am a good person.

I'd better be done learning this work software pretty soon.  I'm finding that I'm not learning much in a day and I'm getting more and more frustrated at it.  Is it because I'm 63 and my brain's already pretty full?  Or is it because I need a break from the intensity of the task?  Probably a little of both.  Good thing I'm stubborn and more of a complainer than a quitter.

January 27--Rob Goldman, Carpenter's Rule.  He wore it in a narrow pocket on the left leg of his overalls.  Barbara's hands caressed the worn wooden ruler with its dull brass fittings.  If she closed her eyes she was right back in her grandpa's workshop rich with the fragrance of sawdust, wood smoke from the Franklin stove that chased the winter chill, and Grandpa's ever-present Charles Denby cigars.  She had loved the way the ruler folded up into a compact bundle and the little narrow brass extension that slid out of one end in case a person needed to measure just six more inches.  Of course this ruler wasn't really Grandpa's, that one was long gone, but this one had leaped into her hand out of a jumble in an old bushel basket at the flea market on the fairgrounds.  There weren't a lot of customers on this drizzly day.  She was sure she could negotiate a good price for it.

It's 8 o'clock (I just love "o'clock."  I like the way it looks and I like the way it sounds.) and if I'm going to be a good girl and shovel before I leave for work and still have enough time to stop at the bank, I'd better get a move on.  You have a good day and I hope you're not in the sights of that snowstorm that's blasting the Northeast.  If you are, today would be a good day to stay in your jammies with a book and mug of cocoa.  That sounds like an excellent way to spend a day, doesn't it?

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love the story about the carpenter's rule -- and daddy!! The Franklin Stove, the Charles Denby cigars and, of course, the folding ruler! Took me back to 3310 Cave!!