Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What Do You See, Girl?


Porter and I had a shortened walk yesterday because Durwood had a 10:30 doctor's appointment (everything's fine) so I parked by the big "lawn" behind an office building that borders the trail and we walked up and down.  Well, I walked, she raced around sniffing every blade of grass, until we were circling back and she stopped looking down at the little woods all alert.  What was down there?  A single deer grazing.  We were far enough away that while it saw us and paid attention, it didn't just bolt so I was about to use the telephoto lens and snap its picture.  Cool, eh?

I had a bag of veggie peels and apples for the chickens and they loved it.  I'm fascinated by these birds.  I just wish they'd let me pet them, I know their feathers are soft.  I know they are.  But they just won't, no matter how sweetly I talk to them.  

I was this close *holds fingers a molecule apart* to blowing off yoga yesterday because it was dark and chilly but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't.  It's so relaxing and energizing to spend that hour focused on positioning my body and focusing on releasing tension, just working to be a puddle on my mat.  That short time sets me up to have a good week every time, I just let go of all the small annoyances and smooth away tight muscles I didn't even realize were tight.  It's a yin yoga class so we focus on settling into a pose and holding it, not flapping and sweating like a regular exercise class.  You think that you're not doing anything and then the next day your muscles remind you that you did indeed spend an hour and fifteen minutes bending, stretching and flexing.  It's worth every penny and every minute.  Thanks, Mardi, you're the best.

November 20--Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stained Glass Window.  Winnie lay in between the rows of grapevines watching the leaves flutter in the sun.  The grapes were mostly ripe, a deep, rich purple, and their aroma was like wine.  Bees buzzed around, nearly lulling her to sleep.  She had come out into the grapes to get away from Mama and Uncle Leo.  They wanted to her play with her awful cousin, Perry, who lived in town but got sent to the farm for a month.  Winnie thought if Perry was her kid she'd send him away too.  He didn't like to fish or climb trees, didn't like to get dirty at all.  All he did was read books.  He wasn't any fun.

When I went out to top up the birdbath heater I saw the most beautiful sunrise.  I absolutely hate it when my alarm rings and I have to get up in the mostly dark but then I look out at the gorgeous pink and purple sky and I'm glad I'm up.  Mrs. Boss called me yesterday to say that she's giving me all next week off, and Christmas week too.  Without pay, of course, but I'm at the stage in my life where I value time over money (I never thought I'd say anything like that), so I'm good with it.  I think I'll focus on doing some stealth sewing for Christmas.  And here are the garbologists, must be time to get ready for my day.  Toodles.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Nice when that saying "more time than money" is a good thing! Glad you'll have a little "vacation" to just do what you want!