Monday, November 11, 2013

I'm Loving This Armpit

You wouldn't think that an armpit would be something to be happy about but I am happy about this one.  Remember that I frogged the almost finished first sleeve of my Khaki Cardi last week because it was about big enough for a hippo's thigh?  I focused all my knitting energy last week on keeping track, making notes, following the pattern this time and, look!,  
I've got an armpit going on.  Look at that row of pretty decreases.  I like it even though I think I might be knitting a bit tighter this time than last time.  I still may need to make the stripes an inch deeper than the ones on the bottom but I have yarn for that so I don't really care.  I'm just glad that now I'm making something that resembles clothing for a human.




I've been dithering around for a month about a presentation about using Ravelry that I said I'd make at the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild meeting on the 14th, which is in three more days.  Last week I jotted down a few ideas on a Word document and gathered up copies of articles I've written about it here and there, but I just couldn't see how I could tell all I thought people ought to know on a few pages.  DD to the rescue!  She told me plainly that while other members might be better knitters than me I might be the most Ravelry savvy in the room.  Well, that woke me up.  I got the laundry started, then fired up my laptop, gathered some needles, patterns in various forms, a few skeins of yarn, and a muslin-lined basket.  Having props helped crystalize my thoughts and I set up another Ravelry account so that I could back out of things and screw things up while writing out the steps without totally mashing up my real Ravelry account.  The talk worked.  By the time four loads of laundry were done and the sun had set I had a rough draft.  By the time DS's birthday cake was out of the oven I had a finished copy.  Thanks a heap, DD, you're the best.

In the process of working on my presentation I might have also cast on another one of the "onesies" that have been living in said muslin-lined basket under the coffee table for the last six months.  I didn't knit a lot, only a couple inches, but look at the colors.  Could you resist?  It might want to be a cowl at this point but it also might be really scratchy.  Time will tell.



In honor of the snow that gathered lightly on my car this morning and the ice on the windshield I'm wearing the "onesie" cowl that I knitted last spring.  It's lovely. It's warm.  I like it.

(If you've forgotten, the "onesies" are the single skeins of yarn that surfaced when I tossed the stash last winter, that I then found patterns for on Ravelry, and have been knitting away at a bit at a time.  You should try it; it's kind of a fun pursuit.)

No comments: