Saturday, April 24, 2010

I Should Take a Walk

I feel like it, but it looks like it's going to rain any minute, and we need the rain, so I won't be wishing it away today. I'd go walk in the mall but I'm so over walking in the mall with the old people (who kind of look like that woman in the mirror I see every day), so I guess I'll just think about taking a walk. I had breakfast with the dive guys this morning, haven't done that in a while, and probably should walk off the eggs and toast I ate, but it looks like it's going to rain. Of course, I could take an umbrella just in case. Carrying one usually fends off the rain. I'll type in my prompt writing and see how I feel.

April 23--Guadeloupe. "This is a road?" Glee said. "It looks more like a path, a goat path." She leaned forward over the dashboard of the Jeep and squinted through the dusty, bug-speckled windshield as if squinting would help her see around the bend in the path. "Well," said Tom, "the GPS says to turn here." He reached up to tap the square screen of the unit mounted to the dash with a cracked and taped bracket. As he tapped the screen, the image on it skewed and scrambled and then blinked out. "Well, that's just great," said Glee, "you drive us out into the boonies on an island neither of us have ever been on, we don't speak the language, and now the GPS quits." She folded her arms over her chest and gave him a sidelong glare. "What do you plan to do now?" Tom, who thought that a trip wasn't a success if he didn't get lost at least once, tried hard to suppress his grin. He failed. His straight white teeth gleamed in his tan face. "This island is very small, how lost can we get? I plan to keep going and enjoy the day." He reached down and shifted the Jeep into first gear. As the wheels began to roll down the narrow dirt road he said, "Now's when the fun begins anyway. I was meant to travel off the beaten track. Buckle up and hold on." She looked grim but she did.

I don't see a happy future for Glee and Tom, do you? Enjoy your weekend! Stay dry.
--Barbara

No comments: