Saturday, October 28, 2023

Brrr!

Things changed yesterday and kept changing overnight. When I (finally) got up this morning and looked at the houses across the street their roofs were frosty. Right now it's 39 degrees headed for an overnight low of 34 degrees. And it's not supposed to be sunny tomorrow. I can put up with this early cold snap if it's sunny.



And the birdbath was slightly iced over. Guess I'll be installing the new birdbath heater tomorrow.

 

By the time the Sparrows noticed that I filled the birdfeeders the birdbath had thawed out. This bird had the feeder all to himself, but not for long. Lots of Mourning Doves clustered under the feeder to glean the dropped seeds. I've decided to stop dismissing the Sparrows. When OJ is here and he spots one he calls out, "Look, Meemaw, a Sparrow!" I want to find a little bit of that enthusiasm.

 


I'm happier with today's Zentangle. I copied one from the book that a guest artist did and added my own touches. I'm still not very good at shading the motifs so that they look 3D but I'm trying.

 

Out of 20 Ways to Draw a Butterfly or Things With Wings I used a bigger pen and drew three big cartoon-y flying things--an owl, a pterosaur, and a bat. I like the kind of surprised stare of the owl and the bat.

 


While watching TV tonight I knitted the heel flap of the Summer in Monaco sock. Part of me wants to sit and figure out how to keep going on the heel with Magic Loop and part of me thinks it'd be easier just to pull out my Double Pointed Needles and knit the gusset the way that makes sense to me. Why make my life more complicated? I can turn the heel using Magic Loop and then pick up stitches along the edges of the heel flap with DPNs, knit along happily on the gusset until I get to the foot, and go back to Magic Loop for the foot and toe. I'll think about it.

 

This afternoon I took a little walk in the chilly wind and then pulled up that old spies story to skim it looking for a way into the rewrite. I also did some online searching for real estate listings on the island but all I found were million dollar places or resorts for sale. Not what I was looking for. Guess I'll just make something up. That's why they call it fiction.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I remember that spy story and hope it's the one you're going to expand on for your November challenge.