Saturday, February 18, 2023

Seven!

Today was the Market on Military and I sold seven books. Seven! To say that I'm over the moon would be an understatement. I saw my college French professor and his wife, chased them down to say hi, and they came over to the booth and bought one of each of my books. Then a grade school and high school classmate and his wife stopped and they bought one of each too. And she's going to talk my books up at her book club and maybe get me invited to do a book talk. Wouldn't that be cool?



Despite the weather prediction, it was sunny today and got up to 37 degrees so a lot of Thursday's snow melted away. As much as I dislike shoveling snow, I have to confess that I like the brown grass and dirty snow even less.


The Daily Practice today was to paint a Landscape using yesterday's tiny studies as references. I have to say that I'm not a fan of the way mine turned out. I like the sky which is hard to see in this photograph but the dry-brush blue looks like clouds and sky. The rest of it is garbage. I think that the brown splotch in the green field on the left looks like an avocado. Weird. How come some days I can paint and have it turn out and other days I can't make a picture to save my soul?



Then I turned back the clock a couple days to repaint the rose and the tulip from Intermediate Watercolor since I didn't feel confident to go forward after my pitiful landscape painting. It's a good thing that I can buy reasonably priced watercolor paper at Michaels because I seem to be using it up at a fair clip. The rose turned out better than the tulip. Guess I'll be repainting tulips tomorrow.


After I put my paints away I cracked open the book that I bought from JB at the market today and I ended up reading it as I ate supper and I kept reading until I finished it just before coming back here to blog. It's called Completely Ambered and is the story of a high school boy who gets his girlfriend pregnant. It's a YA novel but I really enjoyed it because it's well-written and has interesting characters. And I wrote an Amazon review as soon as I booted up the laptop so I didn't forget. JB bought one of my books today too and paid me on Venmo, the first time I've used that tool, um, app. Made me feel almost cool. I ordered a QR code kit from Venmo last week to make it easy to buy a book if people don't have cash. It didn't come before the market today but it was waiting for me when I got home. Oh well, I'll have it for the subsequent markets.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Woo Hoo!! Banner day at the market. I hope you're invited to speak at that book club. That would be fun for them and you too.