Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Thawed

I opened the patio door drapes this morning and was astonished to see that the birdbath glacier had thawed overnight. Amazing. It was frozen nearly solid yesterday and today there's open water. The snow's melting too. This has been one crazy winter. I keep waiting for it to start snowing and not stop for a few days leaving us buried but so far, not so much, but then there's a lot of winter left to endure.



Today's Daily Practice was to paint a flowering plant. Once again I was grateful for her loose and flowing take on painting. She uses the picture or the plant as inspiration and doesn't focus on replicating what she sees which is a relief to me. 


I rewound the Beginning Watercolor lessons again and took another run at painting trees. I think I did okay this time. I like the colors and I like the shapes of the trees. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this. Watch, the next time I'll fail miserably when I try to paint a tree.



Drawing went okay today too. First I found this miserable worker/writer buried by a pile of papers in Sketching. It wasn't until I was editing the photo that I realize that my table is slanted. Turns out I have problems drawing straight lines.


Then in Dr. Seuss's Book of Animals I found bees. There were birds with the bees but I kind of ran out of time. I think my bees have lots of personality.



I knitted a bunch on the Ara Cashmere Cap this morning and again this evening. In the morning I knitted in a short piece of the same yarn in white. I like the way only the thick parts show. There was a lot more of this orange and yellow yarn than I thought there was so there's no chance that I'll run out of hat and yarn at the same time. I have a lot more yarn in the next ball. *sigh* I'll make the hat taller but don't think I can make it tall enough to knit up all of the yarn. Oh well, I figure out something to do with it.


Tonight was the meeting of the GB Area Writer's Guild. We touted our Market on Military success and talked about the possibility of having a booth at one of the summer farmers markets, not every week but every once in a while. The cost is reasonable and a lot more people go to the summer markets than come to the winter one. It's worth thinking about.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Cute bees. And I like your watercolors too. That flowing style is really nice.