Sunday, January 22, 2023

Yawn!

When you stay up late on Saturday night you get up late on Sunday morning. That's a fact and that's what happened to me today. It was after 9 o'clock when I rolled out of bed and only then because I got a text notification on my phone. Thinking it was someone interesting I jumped up only to find that it was my weekly phone usage report. No, thank you. Anyway, I watched CBS Sunday Morning which I had DVR'd and then fired up the Wii and did some step aerobics. By then it was almost noon and I was still in my jammies. I thought about staying dressed that way but then realized that I wanted to go to the grocery (out of bananas and grapes again) so I got cleaned up and dressed. And after lunch I went to the store for a bunch of things which cost way more than just fruit would have.

Birds discovered the filled feeders today. There was a small flock of Sparrows that flew in, pecked around, and flew away. Then a trio of Chickadees tag teamed between the platform feeder and the round feeder. This is not a great picture of a Chickadee but it's the best I could manage. They're so fast.



I got out my paints today and painted along with a beginning watercolor class I found on Creativebug. I taped a bunch of smaller pieces of paper onto my lucite boards and tried to paint what she did. Not very successfully but I tried. I'm happiest with the last painting I/we did. We made a color palette from a picture she showed and then used those colors to just make marks on the paper. I tried to copy some of the movements she made and was successful part of the time but I'm happy with how it turned out.


I'm happiest with this little scrap of paper that I use to test out paint colors. I've always been pleased with the way it looks and today I realized that it kind of follows the watercolor teacher's demo.



It wasn't until after supper that I pulled out my drawing things. First I drew a few items from the second to the last page of How to Draw People. While I was drawing these I got a text from SIL1 saying that IM was worried that I was having a tornado and wasn't safe. Seems they had a tornado warning this past week and so he's obsessed with them. I assured them that I was safe and that it wasn't even particularly windy. DD says that his plan is to come to my house and hide in the basement the next time a tornado comes. Good plan. I said that they're always welcome, tornado or not.


Then on the next page of Seuss-isms there was this complicated looking illustration. I took a deep breath and plunged in. It didn't turn out too bad. Next time I'm inking the final lines of the drawing and then erasing the pencil lines before I color it in to prevent smudging. 


That's all of my late-sleeping, foreshortened day. Once again it was thick overcast so it looked like dusk all day. That is no help to feel awake and alert.

Today's the first day of the lunar new year, the Year of the Rabbit. I was born in the Year of the Rabbit, Durwood was too. I should have gotten Chinese takeout today but didn't think of it until just now. Oh well.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

For someone who slept late, you still had a lot to share. Love the painting with the summertime colors.