Tuesday, January 28, 2020

No, Really, It's A Bird...

I was so excited this morning to see a bluejay at the birdbath getting a drink. I grabbed the camera, got set, and it flew away just as I pressed the shutter button.  Dang it.  Then I saw the bluejay in the neighbor's tree but it flew away from there too.  I know this looks like something from a fever dream, but really, it's a bluejay.

The cleaning lady came today so I am, for now, living in the center of clean.  Not that I'm a slob or anything but anyone who knows me well knows that I detest vacuuming so I don't.  I swab out the bathroom and keep the kitchen clean but she dusts, vacuums, cleans the bathroom and kitchen, does the floors, she even dusts the tops of the curtains so I don't have that delicate tracery of cobwebs across the top.  I love her; she is worth every penny for her once a month visits.

This afternoon I went to the DMV to get a REAL ID driver's license.  I tried to get one when I renewed my license last fall but I didn't have the correct papers.  *sigh*  I figured that Tuesday afternoon might be a less busy time at the DMV and I was right.  I was there for no more than 45 minutes from start to finish and I had all the correct papers.  I even had extras in case of need.  She punched "void" in my old license and gave me a paper to use until my REAL one comes in a week.  



This evening I finished January Preemie Hat #4 and just barely had enough yarn.  That little squiggle of yarn above the hat is almost exactly a yard long.  I'd have been in a world of hurt if there'd been just one more round on that hat.






28 January--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Detective Archibald and Cecilia Robbins were seated in a booth at Garibaldi’s, a local supper club, overlooking the edge of the bluff, enjoying the sunset.  Cecilia, in a beige linen dress, subdued gold jewelry and red shoes, and Archibald, in a dark grey suit with a white shirt and a rather flamboyant fish patterned tie, had just finished ordering.  Sipping their cocktails, they overheard the conversation from the next table.
“...then I heard he chopped her head off with a big axe!”
 “Really?  I heard it was a machete.”
“I heard her husband had collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital because of all the blood.”
Archibald groaned.  “I can’t get away from this case!  Don’t people have anything else to talk about?”
Cecilia reached across the table and patted his hand.  “No, Alan, they don’t.  Everybody’s frightened.  They think there’s some sort of maniac loose in the city.  Everything we hear is gruesome and gory.  I heard the same thing this morning from...   well, I heard it and I have to tell you I’m frightened too.  I keep imagining I hear someone at my doors, and you can bet I keep them locked up tight these days.”
Archibald turned his hand and captured hers.  “You don’t have to worry, Cecilia, I’ll keep you safe.  Besides these rumors aren’t true.”
“What do you mean?”
Reluctantly, he continued, “Well, for one thing, she wasn’t decapitated.  The murderer used some sort of knife to sever her spine just below her skull.  There was no gore all over.  In fact, there was barely any blood at all.  She died instantaneously.  As for either an axe or machete, the coroner thinks it was some sort of hunting knife.  Nothing too big.  Now you can’t spread this around but maybe it’ll make you feel safer.  I could stay over until we catch the killer if you’d like.”  Archibald grinned at her hopefully.
Cecilia blushed and smiled.  “That won’t be necessary.  But thank you for the offer.”
Just then the waiter arrived with their salads.  They continued holding hands across the table while they enjoyed their meal.  Refusing dessert, they had coffee and Archibald told Cecilia that they needed to stop at the crime scene to meet Graybow.  She wasn’t thrilled at the prospect but part of her was excited to get a look at where a murder was committed.



I am happy to report that my Hoisin-Glazed Mini Meatloaves make great meatloaf sandwiches.  I toasted a single slice of onion bread, sliced the meatloaf (meatloaf ball) and it just fit.  I like an open-face sandwich, don't you?  I remember Great-grandpa Gerst used to always eat open-face sandwiches which I thought was unusual when I was a kid.  In fact, I called them Grandpa Gerst sandwiches then and I still do in my mind.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'll take your word for it that that's a bluejay. Even blurred, it's a welcome sight out your window. The premie hat looks like a strawberry sundae. Very cute. You have a wonderful memory. Recalling Grandpa Gerst and the open-face sandwiches. I do remember the stories he told.