Monday, January 13, 2020

Too Soon

I spoke too soon last night because I woke myself up coughing at 5 o'clock.  *sigh*  But a little cough syrup let me go back to sleep and I won't be so foolish as to not take something tonight.  Why cough at night but not in the day?  I don't know but it's annoying.



Just as I posted last night's blog I looked out to see snow falling.  I totally did not want to get up and go right outside to clear the driveway but I had a chiro appointment so out I went.  At least it wasn't windy and too cold.  It was pretty too but it was dim and dreary all day.


I spent most of the afternoon chasing Christmas decorations around the house.  Not chasing, exactly, but finding, taking down, and putting away.



Then I sat and knitted on the Seamen's Cowl.  It isn't very interesting but it's easy to do while watching TV.






13 January--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

One by one the voices around them quieted as the men drifted off.  The breeze dropped so their beach towels were adequate cover, if a little short.  A few times in the night George awoke to see Bunny turn the key which produced only silence as did his attempts to contact anyone by radio.  Surely, he mused, Franz must know that they weren’t back on Bonaire.  Surely, he would send a boat out to see.
“Bunny!”
The shout woke George and he was relieved to hear a boat motor.  He sat up to see Franz and Davis coasting toward them out of the pre-dawn darkness.  “Thank god,” he said and turned to see heads popped up all over the deck like garden eels.  Everyone scrambled to their feet, hands scrubbing stubble and attempting to hand-comb their hair flat.
“I am glad to see you, Franz. The boat won’t go, and the radio is mashed.” 
Davis grabbed the line Gomez tossed him and pulled the boats close enough for him to jump across to the snorkelers’ boat.  He went down to the engine compartment.  They heard him swearing at the uncooperative machine, then there was a grumble from the engine, and it roared to life. 
“Hoorah!” they all shouted.  Davis’ grim face appeared in the hatchway.  “You were out of gas. All you had to do was switch to the second tank.” 
Bunny’s head hung so low that his dreadlocks fell across his face and below his shoulders.  “I sorry, Mr. Davis, Mr. Franz,” he said, “I forget.” 
George looked around at the stunned faces of the other men in his group.  “No harm done, Bunny,” George said, “now we have an adventure to tell our wives.  If they’re still speaking to us.”

I've been thinking that I lost a bunch of socks, the warmest ones, of course.  So I went back downstairs to where I knew they should have been.  I'd looked there before, twice.  But guess what, there they were, where I had looked twice before, tucked at the bottom of a tote under some tank tops.  I think they were snickering.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I know you're sick of it but that snow on the birdie tree in your backyard is beautiful. Glad you unearthed your warm socks and that it wasn't one of those times when only one was missing. At the same time, that wouldn't bother you. I know you're the queen of mismatched socks. Had lunch with Patty Culver Mitsos yesterday. Remember her? She still lives in E'ville but winters in Naples.
We talked for two hours about our years at West Heights Grade School. Eons ago!!!