Wednesday, January 1, 2020

I Keep Falling Asleep

 

I feel like I'm getting better.  My head's not as stuffed up as it was but every time I sit down, whether on the couch or at the table, I fall asleep.  Not for long, maybe 30 minutes max, but it's always a surprise.  The cough isn't too annoying or persistent and it hasn't awakened me in the night--yet.  Watch, that'll happen tonight now that I've brought it up.

 

When I went downstairs to send the felted hat for another couple whirls through the washer on hot with a pair of jeans I poked around in the three boxes of Christmas decorations that I haven't opened in about 10 years.  I found this little Santa that DS carved in 1997 and a bunch of blown Mount St. Helen's glass ornaments I'd forgotten about. (they used ash from the volcanic eruption to color the glass)  So on New Year's Day I hauled them upstairs and hung them on the tree.  I thought about hauling up the storage tote and getting started taking down the tree, etc. but I just didn't have the energy or gumption for the task.





The amaryllis leaves are still reaching for the sky.  Most of them are at 17" but the tallest one is at 18".  I looked up online why I've got leaves without a flower and suspect that it's too much water and too little sunlight.  The water part I can control but the sunshine?  Not so easy.


 



Although the sun did shine for much of today.  My spirits were uplifted by the bright sun on yesterday's new snow.




For the first time in probably 20 years I sat and watched the Rose Parade on TV this morning.  I don't know why I decided to watch.  I find the announcers slightly annoying, although these were better than the Macy's parade announcers.  Those people were so wrapped up in their guests and themselves that they rarely showed the balloons or bands, which is what I want to see.  *flings hands up in despair*





I finished up the eleventh little sockie (I need 12) for the Advent garland I started making in 2016.  I'm determined to get the last socks and mittens done quickly, get the garlands crocheted, and get it all put together to be ready for someone next December.





01 January--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

It didn’t take George long to track down Davis to see about chartering Franz’s fast ferry.  By then Franz had come through the surgery and was resting at home and doing physical therapy.  He insisted on being part of the planning.  “I’m dying of boredom here at home,” he said, “and I’m driving Maggie nuts too.  She wants me out of the house and out of her hair.”
Davis shook his head.  “Ma is already trying to get me to drive Pop down to the office so he can bedevil the secretary instead of her.  I’ll bring Pop over and we can make a plan.”
“Uh, no,” George said too quickly, earning himself a sidelong look from the younger man.  “Sonia feels the same about me being in the house all the time.  Why don’t I take you and your pop to lunch in the next few days, say to the Rose Inn, and we can hash it all out.”
Davis agreed and called his father who agreed too.  As he hung up his phone, Davis said, “Pop is looking forward to it.  How’s Wednesday?” 
“I’ll check with Dimitri and call you back but that should be good.  Pencil us in.”
Wednesday saw four men, two islanders and two expats, seated in the dining room of the Rose Inn.  George and Dimitri had been there enough that the young waitress brought their coffee without being asked.  Franz was very specific about how he wanted his lunch prepared; he even asked that the cook come out to speak with him.  “I’m not in any hurry to go back and have more of my blood vessels scrubbed out so I’m watching what I eat,” he said nodding his head emphatically.



Happy New Year!  Here's hoping that today is the first day of a good year.  I'd say " a great year" but I feel like that'd jinx it into being a rotten year so I'm going to hope for good and be happy with what I get.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Happy New Year. Nice to hear your voice yesterday even if it's still a little hoarse. Good way to start 2020 -- gabbing with you on the phone. Your amaryllis is turning into a regular tree. Surely a blossom will appear soon. Love the shot of the sun on the snow but my favorites this time are those Mt. Saint Helens ornaments. Really beautiful. Glad you could add them to your tree.