Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Flower & Soup

 

I spent some time today really looking at the Christmas cactus flower.  It reminds me of a rare tropical bloom.  I sure hope that more of those tiny pink buds decide to put on a show.



When I flipped through a WW cookbook this afternoon I saw a recipe for North African Lentil Soup and knew that I had all of the ingredients so I whipped some up.  (and I just realized that I made a special trip to the grocery for plain Green yogurt to top the soup and forgot to use it.  *sigh*)  At the store I found some chicken Italian sausages so I cut one up and added it to the pot of soup.  Oh, I know that Italian sausage isn't North African sausage (whatever that might be) but I wanted a bit of meat and it tasted good.  I'm the boss of my soup.


I saw two people in the store that I hadn't seen in a while so I spent time in the cheese department visiting with one and time in the frozen fish aisle visiting with another.  It made me feel less alone.  I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself because I still have a sore throat and it's now 2 weeks into whatever plague I managed to catch over Christmas.  I have a doc appointment on Friday and hope to get some answers.  I don't like feeling crummy for so long.  Probably a little dish of chocolate ice cream would help.  Be right back...




The moon is shining through very thin clouds tonight.  I know it looks full but it's really three-quarters full.  One day I'll figure out how to make my new, fancy camera take moon shots but so far my phone is how I shoot the moon.




08 January--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

“George,” Dimitri called, “what are you doing standing there?  Get over here and let’s go.”  The Russian looked like a black stork in his close-fitted neoprene suit.
George could see how Irina would be offended at the sight of her usually dignified husband in his getup.  Thanking Bunny for the ride as he passed, he walked back to don his snorkeling gear and slip into the quiet world of the reef.  By the time most of the men had been in the water for an hour, Bunny and Gomez had ferried the grill, coolers, and food over to Arawak, setting them up in the shade of a grove of scrubby trees.  Most of the trees on the island were the divi divi trees that pointed the way of the prevailing wind but a few other varieties grew on the shore making just enough shade to keep a man from frying his brains.  Two by two the men waded ashore shaking seawater from themselves like old dogs after a swim.  Nothing tasted better than a beer after a long snorkel in saltwater and the aroma of grilling meat lured them to stand around the barbecue talking about the fish they had seen that morning.  A few of the men had brought along beach chairs but most of them stretched out on their towels in the shade and dozed before heading back into the water to explore the rest of the reef along the leeward shore.


ACJ and I went to the Attic this afternoon to write.  I realized last night that this story I'm sharing with you on here isn't done.  There are about four more pages and then it just ends.  *gasp*  It's been so long since I wrote the danged thing that I have no idea how it meant to end it.  I should probably go back to where I wrote this much to tap into the memory.  Yeah, that's a great idea.  I wonder if the orange bungalow at Happy Holiday Homes on Bonaire is rented.  Ha, that's not happening.  It's a great idea though, don't you think?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That shot of the Christmas cactus blossom is worthy of National Geographic. I hope the rest of the little buds decide to join the show. When I read that you'd gone to the Attic, for a minute I thought you meant the attic in your house. (Don't think you have one.) Couldn't picture you climbing a ladder; better to think of you descending the stairs to the basement! I know you have one of those and it seems to be a never-ending source of something interesting. Like those ornaments made of blown glass. Really an unearthed treasure.