Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Last Mitten

 

Instead of sewing while the laundry sloshed around today I knitted the last Advent garland mitten.  I kept waiting for the pale blue to show up and look, there it is at the very tippy top of the mitten.  Hardly worth the effort to show up.








Then I held a bunch of yarns together and made a 5-foot-long cord with a big crochet hook.






I stretched the cord out and laid some of the mittens and stockings along it and I like it.  I'll get some of those round paper tags with metal edges to write numbers from 1 to 24 on and string them on the cord.  Then I'll spend some time finding small toys to put in them along with chocolate coins and Dum Dum suckers (because I still have upwards of 400 of them) for someone's 2020 Advent treats.

07 January--Barbara Malcolm, Spies Don't Retire. 

The squawk from the radio when Bunny called Davis to let him know they had arrived safely reminded George of all the hours he had spent huddled around a radio receiver hoping to be able to understand what was being said without needing to turn it too loud.
Looking over the side as they slowly motored along George was grateful that he had been able to retire to such a beautiful place.  The water was nearly crystal clear and he saw the patches of coral reef with all the colors of fish darting around it.
Finally Bunny cut the engine and the boat glided toward the mooring.  Gomez, the deck hand, lifted the long boat hook and snagged the mooring line, hauling it aboard and looping it around the cleat on deck.  Gomez nodded at George and walked away without a word.
George leaned on the rail and watched the excited movements of the group.  Masks were spit into and swished in the ocean, fins were slid on while standing at the opening in the railing, and one by one the men slipped over the side to begin exploring the reefs of Arawak Island.



And that's all I have to talk about today.  It was windy and cold, and all I did was march up and down the stairs flinging the laundry around in the basement and knitting a mitten in the living room. I've still got a little "heh heh" of a dry cough and my throat is a little sore.  I'm sick of this cold.  Sick of it.  My life is a constant thrill.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your Advent..... well, I'm calling it a "Reminder" .... is too cute. I hear you about having blah days. Especially this time of year. It's bleak outside, a letdown after the Holidays and you've got a cold! Drat it. If you need a good book to read, I just finished "The Dutch House" by Ann Patchett and highly recommend it.