Monday, January 27, 2020

Back On Track

I finally got tired of myself enough to shove myself back on track.  I buckled down and logged everything I put in my mouth today and dragged myself to the Y to walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes.  I know that's not very long but I've gotta restart somewhere.

A snowplow came by this morning to scrape up some street snow that was under a parked car when it came by the other day.  It very kindly rolled a bunch of solid balls bigger than a basketball and left them in my driveway.  Another snowman's worth of parts in the way.  I went out with the shovel and managed to move the biggest ones off to the side but they were too big to move far and too heavy to throw.  Thanks a heap, Mr. Snowplow Driver.



For supper I made Hoisin-glazed Turkey Mini Meatloaves.  I doubled the recipe then scooped the meat mixture into the cups of a big muffin tin so that I have six suppers.  I could slice one of my meatloaf balls and make an amazing sandwich too.  The mixture has fresh garlic and ginger, lots of scallions, bread crumbs, soy sauce, and eggs, oh, and lean ground turkey.  It's kinda goopy but it sure is tasty once it's baked.  I steamed some sugar snap peas to go with it but need more fresh veggies to cook.  I'll see what's on hand and see what I can cobble together so I'm not tempted by sweets at the grocery.  Or those Honey Mustard & Onion pretzel pieces.  Those things are addictive.  I'm a big pretzel fan.


After supper I cast on a cowl in yarn I bought in Indy in November.  It's a pretty gray and when you see it in bright light there are a bunch of other faint colors blended in.  This is a simple pattern that I feel is the next step up from the preemie hats.  I've got to get my knitting mojo back, this is getting ridiculous.  My plan is to keep knitting, dragging myself along, until it starts to feel easy again.

27 January--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Reluctantly Archibald suggested, “Drinking back there, Ken?”
“No!  I’m not doing much drinking these days.  Trying to get my life back.  I been spending time at Ms. Allgood’s shelter working on getting a job.  Trying to put my life back together.  You can ask her.  I’ve been doing well.  I just was too lazy to walk all the way over there that night.”
“Don’t get all riled up.  We have to ask.  You know that,” Archibald reassured him.  “I was hoping a trained observer like you could help us figure this out.  That’s all.  You’ve been a big help.  Thanks.”
Archibald clapped him on the shoulder and he and Graybow returned to their car.  Once inside Graybow asked, “You didn’t really think that bum could help, did you?”
“That bum, as you call him, used to be the head of security of Dahlcom Communications.  He got downsized about five or six years ago and took up drinking as an occupation.  He lost everything; his job, his marriage and home, had a business fail.  He’s been roaming around like a lost soul.  I keep an eye on him.  Make sure he’s not slipping too far.  I’d heard he was hanging around the Ashville Shelter trying to get his life back on track.  I guess it was too much to hope for that he would have seen something that could help us.  Guess he’s just too far gone.”  Archibald’s shoulders slumped in defeat.  He felt sad that a man who’d helped him as a young cop had fallen so far.  He felt bad that he couldn’t have somehow stopped Edwards from being an alcoholic. 
They went back to the station hoping that the forensic team had some new information that would help them crack the case and find the murderer.



A lone Mourning Dove came to the birdbath this morning.  I carefully got the camera, making no sudden moves, removed the lens cap, turned the camera on, and the darned bird flew off.  Thirty seconds more and I'd have had its picture.  I looked out the window by my desk this morning when I was working on the pitch again and saw that the people diagonally across the street are feeding the birds and there was a flock of sparrows fluttering and squabbling under and around the feeder.  I was jealous.  But I have to starve out the RAT.  I haven't seen any tiny footprints in the snow for a long time.  Fingers crossed that I've outsmarted the rodent(s)..
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sounds like the snowplow driver has it in for you. Why put those big balls right in your driveway? No fair. Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully your neighbors will inherit your rat(s) if they're putting out bird food. Too bad the dove got away before you could snap him/her. I think Ken is going to help solve that murder somehow. Fingers crossed. It could be just the boost he needs to get his life back on track.