Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Harvest

I decided to pull a few carrots today and learned why the seed packet tells you to thin the seedlings after they reach a certain height.  Many of the carrots were agglomerations of two, three, or even four carrots.  They look like orange aliens but they're tasty.  I scrubbed these and gave them away but there are plenty more where those came from.


This little hummingbird is a regular visitor.  It's amazing how you get to be able to tell them apart toward the end of summer.  There's a pair of fledglings that come to the honeysuckle every day or so and I'm convinced that they're nest-mates because they're always chasing each other or fighting over a flower.  Typical.  I saw a hawk on the retaining wall but it flew off before I got the camera or phone up and ready.  That's when I wish I had a camera embedded in my eye.


Tonight's supper was one for the books.  I made up a recipe for chicken and refried bean burritos a few months back, assembled and froze them, and discovered the bag of them hiding behind the ice cream last week.  I have five left after today and when they're done I will absolutely be making more.  I take off the plastic wrap, fold the frozen burrito into a paper towel, and nuke it on High for 2 minutes. Then it stands for a minute or so while I halve some cherry tomatoes and pick some good looking spinach leaves out of the crisper.  I carefully open it, sprinkle on a little fat-free cheddar, squirt on some green sriracha (not as hot as the red stuff, zingy but tasty), and lay on the veggies.  Oh so good and only 4 points--3 for the tortilla and one for the pepper jack cheese I put in when I made them.  If I leave that out I can use fat-free cheese and shave off a point.

I didn't write last night, I just wasn't in the mood.  Tomorrow the new loveseat gets delivered between 7:20 and 9:20 a.m. so I'll be up early to clear a path for the delivery guys and drag a comb through my hair.  Don't want to scare them away before they bring in the new one and take out the old one. I promise I'll sew the black leggings tomorrow.  Cross my heart.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

It's funny how those backyard creatures can become almost like pets. There's a little lizard that lives on our lanai, right outside the sliding glass doors. I usually spot him either on the back of one of the chairs or somewhere underneath. Paul says he probably likes it out there in the shade. He's kinda cute but can't hold a candle to your hummingbirds.