Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Real Quickie

Today was Durwood's 79th birthday so I spent most of it with him.  His little birthday gift was a large print list of the channels & numbers of his new, unfamiliar cable TV provider.  His big birthday gift is a new, much larger TV since I didn't account for the increase in room size when I bought the one last week.  Oh, too bad.  Now I get a new, bigger TV for the living room here.  What a pity.  As I said in an earlier post he got to order his birthday dinner so that's what everyone at the facility had for lunch today.  He asked for beef stroganoff which was good, but not as good as mine.  (of course)  He also agreed to go down to the dining room with me so he got to see a few of the other neighbors.  I'm hoping he'll let them wheel him down there for one meal a day.  I feel the weight of his expectation that I'll continue to be his sole "person" and am doing what I can to encourage him to expand his horizons just a little.  (photo from a few years ago)



My purchase of red, tubular flowers almost exclusively has continued to bring butterflies and birds to the yard.  Make a note, Barbara, next year plant more lantana and more zinnias for goldfinches to reap the seeds.  





 


I don't know if this red begonia is attracting birds or butterflies, it's out of my line of sight from the table, but it sure is pretty.  Even the leaves are pretty.










After supper I cast on another Bodhi Leaf washcloth from the Mason-Dixon Knitting Field Guide #7:  Ease.  I thought the first one I made was a bit small and someone on the MDK forum commented that she'd thought that too so she held two strands of the yarn together.  Being the copycat that I am, especially when I hear a good idea, I got out the other onesie ball of Terra yarn and I'm holding the red and wheat together.  Do you see that little tangle of yarn on the right?  That's how much you have to rip out when you get your odd and even rows mixed up.  It doesn't look at all good when the purl stitch suddenly switches sides.  Nope, not good at all.

I stayed up too late last night and am up too late again tonight therefore no prompt writing happened last night but if I finish this quickly, slap some photos on here, and post it I can get some scribbling done tonight.  Here I go.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Belated Happy Birthday to D. I so hope he allows some of the other residents into his world. Too much weight on your shoulders. Even from a wheelchair, he has a lot to share.