Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Things with Petals

I had errands to do this morning then went over to hang pictures and have lunch with
Durwood.  (he had beef tips, rice, green beans and cherry crisp, I had a chicken sandwich from home with baby carrots and a clementine)  I found Command hangers that hold 12 lbs. so I could hang the big photo of the mill wheel that he took in Boston years ago that hung on the dinette wall and Pappy's (Durwood's dad) Boy Scout award from 1956.  Afterward I went to Michael's with the pack of photos I had printed last week and spent a jillion dollars on frames..  Okay, half a jillion because the frames were "buy 1, get one 50% off."  I bought a bunch of mats that I didn't need so I'll return them tomorrow and recoup part of the outlay.  They didn't have pre-cut collage mats like I remembered they used to have so I ended up buying some collage frames and then got a bigger frame, some double-sided tape, and a piece of black poster board to make a big arrangement of bird pictures.  Now all I have left to do for Durwood's new place decor is figure out and sew up slipcovers for the two Goodwill chairs I bought last week.  Maybe that'll happen this weekend.  The place is shaping up.


I finally got around to making the Cobb Salad that I've meant to make for a week.  Instead of bacon I crisped up some Canadian bacon that I then diced.  Instead of avocado I doubled up on tomatoes.  And instead of cheddar cheese I used some feta that I got at ALDI because my hair stylist said that the kind they have in brine is the best--and it's really good.  I used the Egglets Durwood ordered from Harriet Carter to make hard-boiled eggs last week (so much easier than the traditional way) so I chopped up one of those, diced up a grilled chicken tender, and sliced a green onion.  All I have for lettuce is a bag of spinach so I ripped a bunch of that into a bowl, laid on all the goodies, and drizzled it with fat-free honey mustard dressing.  I am definitely going to have that again and again until I run out of ingredients.  Or the spinach wilts, whichever comes first.  I have enough of everything for three more salads.  Yum.  And only 6 WW Freestyle points.




 


Now to the "Things with Petals."  I glanced out at the yard and saw that the daisies are still blooming, that the purple coneflowers are hitting their stride (just about every one in this picture has a bee on it), and then I went around and snapped a picture of every flower that's blooming.  The snapdragons get overshadowed but I really love their velvety deep red with the tiny accent of yellow.  There are a couple of my Shopko closeout day lilies still blooming and the stargazers are on their last days.  TW & A found a place in Abrams, just up Hwy. 41 10 miles or so, that sells all sorts of day lilies.  I need to get online and check them out.  They have lilies that bloom early-, mid-, and late-summer.  I wonder how much they cost.  I didn't ask.

 






 



 










This is all there is.  It was nearly midnight when I got to bed last night--again, so I didn't write the prompt.  See that I'm posting an hour earlier tonight.  I have hope for writing.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So many really pretty pictures today. Even the picture of pictures. And I love your version of a Cobb Salad. Maybe you should rename it because it's the same thing -- only different. I buy old frames at estate sales and then have to find something to put in them. Have a sweet oval shaped one - empty - hanging on the guest room door. Just the shape of it is good enough for me.