Thursday, August 30, 2018

Happy Birthday, Mom!

 

If she hadn't been so careless as to burst her appendix after her 65th high school class reunion, Mom would have been 90 years old today.  Happy Birthday, Mom!





 



 

In honor of Mom's special day I sewed up the two pairs of black leggings on the Pfaff sewing machine she gave me for my birthday just a month before she died.  The modal/spandex pair tried to crawl through the soleplate of the machine into the bobbin compartment but despite being black and nearly impossible to see where it was stitched I managed to extricate it and triumph.  The cotton/spandex fabric behaved.  This completes my Fringe Association Summer of Basics challenge.  Five pairs of leggings made in five days.  Dandy!







 
 
Lilly the Loveseat arrived this morning around 9 a.m.  Doesn't it look nice in its new home?  I took off the matching side pillows and put on the print ones from the old loveseat.  I'm not sure I'll keep them but I'm not a fan of the matchy-matchy ones.  Maybe I'll see what's on the shelves at T.J. Maxx one of these days.


You are so sorry you weren't here for supper.  Tonight I actually cooked a fresh meal.  It's WW Jumbo Shrimp with Spicy Cuban-Style Black Beans.  Sooooo good and so fast to make and only 2 points per serving.  I promise that I'm not turning into one of those bloggers who takes pictures of her every meal but I need to be accountable for a while so I get out of the ice-cream-and-cookies-for-supper habit so I'll be posting a picture of my supper for a week, maybe two.  I'm eating good breakfasts and lunches but have trouble managing something healthy and nutritious late in the day.  Doing this helps.

August 30--John Singer Sargent, Pomegranates, Majorca.  Cut through the dull, leathery skin and you find yourself with what looks like a handful of garnets.  Pomegranates are a surprise.  Who would expect their dried up appearance to disguise the intricate, sparkling, and juicy seeds inside?

And that's all I wrote last night.  I stared at the beautiful painting with its swirling colors and thought about how tasty those little dark red seeds are and how I even like crunching the seeds inside.  I remembered the first time Mom and I bought one in the mid-70s and came home to puzzle out how to peel it and then how to eat what we found.  But the more I stared the fewer words popped into my brain and out the end of my pencil.  So I gave up.  Better luck next time.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Great idea to post a picture of your dinner each night just to keep you honest. And I KNOW you wouldn't cheat and just use a picture from the cookbook -- right??? I thought about Marl yesterday too. August is birthday month for mother, her and tomorrow you!! Will be thinking about you all day too. You can count the beautiful new loveseat as your gift from D.