Friday, August 24, 2018

Stay Away From My Nuts!

At least that's what I figured this chipmunk was saying this morning.  It sat there and warned off all comers from the crook next to the peanut wreath.  There were a couple chippies on the ground right below it, one on the retaining wall, and another one on the Emma's chair on the patio.  Turf wars among the rodents.  Sheesh.






My garnet Crocs came today.  Woohoo!






Did I tell you that I sold both of the old-ish TVs?  I put the 32" TV that I bought for Durwood's assisted living studio (that ended up being too small for the space) in my living room and realized after I rearranged the living room furniture that I could sit on the couch and see both TVs which seemed silly.  So I cancelled one cable converter box and put the 22" and 26" TVs on Facebook Marketplace.  A Fast Lube place bought the smaller one for their waiting room (paying me $5 extra to deliver it) and a single mom bought the bigger one for her bedroom.  She and I met in a church parking lot yesterday evening to exchange TV for cash.  Everyone is happy.  I'd never used FB Marketplace but it worked pretty well.  Seems that the scammers and creepazoids that frequent Craigslist haven't moved in yet and I'm just as glad.







The weather got a bit cooler today so I decided to wear that pumpkin linen Dress No. 2 I made a few months back with the sleeves rolled up above my elbows and like it so much that I went to Joann's and bought 2 lengths of linen to make more.  (Yes, DD I had to go back for that red striped linen, it's been on my mind since Saturday but I used a 50% off coupon on the more expensive one and a 20% off coupon on the other one--saving and spending at the same time!  Is that what they call "new math"?)  Yes, I know I'll have to chain myself to my sewing machine to get everything sewed up but, you know what, I don't care.  I'm not blowing the budget, not even denting it much, and besides wearing this made me feel good today and I need that feeling right now.  (don't tell me if you think I look like a dork, okay?)


After the fabric store I went across the street to a furniture store looking at loveseats and I found one I like that's totally in my price range.  The loveseat I have is over 10 years old and the springs mostly gave up the ghost years ago.  In fact, seven years ago I took the thin plywood board Mom had under her couch cushions and put it in mine.  I think it's time for a new loveseat and its name is Lilly.  It's upholstered in a tweedy brown fabric that will coordinate with the dark brown carpeting. Their everyday price is 20% off list which brings it under $500.  Score!  I promise that this is the last big expenditure for a while--except for getting the side chair in the living room reupholstered which it desperately needs.  Then I'll be done--really most sincerely DONE.

August 24--John LaFarge, The Fish.  Simon lay on his stomach staring down into the stream.  A trout had tucked itself under the exposed roots of a tree, barely flicking its tail to stay in place in the current.  The spots of sunlight that filtered through the leaves made the fish's scales pop with color.

That's all she/I wrote.  Exhaustion overtook me and I ended up in bed shortly after 9 o'clock last night and turned the light out by 9:30 then I didn't wake up until almost 7 o'clock.  Wahoo!  Sleep, it's what I needed.  I don't feel quite as wrung out today which is a good thing and made doing battle with the pharmacy the nursing home used over their very "creative" bill easier.  At least I didn't cry.  Off to have some supper then go knitting.  Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So happy to read the upbeat tone of your blog this morning. First of all, you do not look like a dork in your pretty pumpkin dress. THEN your score at the furniture store and the plan for the living room chair sound like just what you need. And the icing on the cake is the shot of the garnet Crocs. Good day all the way around.