Sunday, August 12, 2018

Hauled the Desk, Etc.

I awoke just before 7 o'clock with the thought that I'd move the old computer desk, printer
desk, and desk chair out to the curb, change the Next Door ad to say "come and get it," and get the walnut desk moved into the living room where I've wanted it for years.  So I did.  The cool thing was that late in the morning when I was taking out a car seat to make room for a knitter the neighbor said hi and I said, "want a desk?" and he said, "I was going to ask about that.  We need a computer desk and chair."  Hallelujah.  I rolled the chair, he hauled the desk and hutch shelves, and all that's left at the curb is the printer desk which another neighbor volunteered to put in his pickup at 10 AM tomorrow so we can take it to the household dump site.  Double hallelujah.


So then I shoved things around, vacuumed up more dust of the ages, analyzed the phone and cable connectors (because I had to disconnect the modem and move it to a different resting place), unscrew the 6-outlet plugs that all of the computers and printers were plugged into over the years and go downstairs to dig out standard outlet covers, then drag the walnut desk and chair into its new spot.  Oh, and I moved the little cabinet that was in the doorway into the corner where the printer desk had been.  I need to figure out a place for my two knitting storage bins to go so they're not cluttering up that newly emptied corner and I need to rehang the pictures on that wall and the one over the couch but the room looks so much bigger and more open.  Ahhh.  When OJ saw the rearranged living room the other day he turned to me and said, "move this!"  Evidently I wasn't supposed to change things but he got used to it and managed to pave the carpet with toys just the same as he always does.




A pair of bluejays came to bathe.  We never have bluejays getting drinks or having baths.  I was thrilled (but then I'm easily thrilled by that sort of thing).




I picked up a bottle of Orange Glo at Walmart today then spritzed the cherry table and spread it around.  Not only does my dinette smell like oranges, the table, well, the table glows.  Later in the week I'll spend the time to treat the rest of the table to the orange oil treatment.  The wood just soaked it up, it was so dry from having spent all those years in storage.


This afternoon I visited Durwood and knitted on the Pink & Gray Anklet while we chatted.  I joked that I was knitting so slowly on it I'd probably have it finished in time to put it away for the winter but I think if I keep at it soon it'll be time to toe.  I should probably measure it next time I pull it out of its bag.

August 12--Claude Monet, Cap d'Antibes.  Years of prevailing winds had bent the trees to point to the east.  Used to the round tops of the maples and the tall cone shapes of the conifers at home in the States Georgia had a bit of trouble getting used to seeing most of the trees along the roads pointing off to one side.  She stacked her folding chair and her bag at the foot of one of them, slipped off her cover-up, and walked down the pebble and sand beach into the cool blue-green water.

Tomorrow evening is the time we get to take our County Fair entries to the fairgrounds so I'll spend tomorrow getting everything looking its best.  Fingers crossed that there are blue ribbons in my future.  Wish me luck.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm so happy to see those familiar pieces in your living room. I have that same coffee table here in this guest room serving as a bedside table. That old music box from Grandma Gerst (full of pictures of unnamed ancestors) sits atop it and then a lamp on that. Makes a nice little stack of Stephan/Gerst history.