Thursday, August 2, 2018

A Do Nothing Day?

Nah, can't do it.  It was almost noon before I couldn't stand it a minute longer and went out shopping.  (the list was too long to leave it all for tomorrow morning)  I hit the Dollar Tree and two Goodwill stores.  Durwood asked me to get some toys and books to have at his place for LC and OJ when they visit, toys that aren't here or at home so I raided my toy barrel/tote downstairs for a few things and hit the dollar store for more.  Got a couple little Etch-a-Sketches, a tiny tea set and some cooking things, some coloring books, and I had fake food (much bigger than the pots and plates) downstairs, .  Bought a flat plastic basket that I lined with a piece of a place mat for the toys that will fit into the shallow drawer under Durwood's wardrobe to keep things contained.  At the first Goodwill I found a nice, heavy (used) bedside lamp with a shade for $10 and a (new) bulletin board but it was at the second Goodwill where I really scored.  Durwood asked if I couldn't find a kid-size table and chairs for a corner of his studio where the kids can color or play and I hit the jackpot.  I found this absolutely darling Mother Goose table with two chairs for $5.99.  I tightened the legs, etc. with an Allen wrench, then spent half an hour working on it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and a Scotch Brite scrubbie and it looks like new.  Adorable.


 
I heard knocking when I was having my breakfast and looked out to see this male Downy Woodpecker pecking on the wren house that had no takers again this year.  *sigh*  Early in the spring there was a wren singing his siren song perched on top of it but evidently it wasn't up to standards for any of the local lady wrens.  Maybe next year.

 





It was a gray and drizzly day so my mood stayed gray and drizzly too.  I hate that.  Even the daylight lamps didn't help much today.  But the daisies are blooming and the stargazer lilies are looking fab so I plan to buck up.





August 2--Suzanne Valadon, Self-Portrait.  Her hair was combed tight to her scalp and the curls looked like sausages.  There was none of the loose and casual about her.  Her face was turned away from them as if she was embarrassed to be found like this.  "Know who she is?" Gino asked.  Leo shoved his hands deeper into his topcoat pockets and he hunched his shoulders against the cold wind that blew off the lake.  "Patrolman said she's Esther Miller.  She's taught piano lessons in her parlor for the last 40 years."  Gino tugged on the collar of his jacket.  "Piano teacher, huh?  I wonder if we're looking for a student that didn't enjoy his time in that parlor."  He shook his head.  "Who calls their living room a parlor anymore?  Was she some throwback to the thirties?"

Tomorrow I'll pick up some better phones for Durwood because the $6 one I bought is crap.  Then we get to spend the afternoon waiting for the Direct TV guy to make an appearance to hook up his service.  Don't you love waiting for them?  I'll take my knitting.  We'll hang some pictures and maybe do some rearranging but there should be some knitting time.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

There is no such thing as a do nothing day in your world. That little table and chairs is so perfect. Hope you're having a relaxing day today as you wait for the cable guy.