Saturday, August 4, 2018

I'd Have Blogged Last Night...

... if I hadn't been so danged tired.  I spent most of yesterday gathering things for Durwood's new place, over there hanging pictures and rearranging furniture, and endlessly waiting for the Direct TV guy to come--which he did 15 minutes before I had to leave to go give LC and OJ supper and put them to bed so their parents could have a date.  By the time I got home I was more than tired so I just went to bed.  The coolest picture I took yesterday was this row of fog drops dangling from a honeysuckle vine.  I'm just glad that one shot turned out not blurry.




This morning a Monarch butterfly spent some time in the early sun warming up which gave me time to go out there and snap its picture.



 


A trio of Bluejays came to investigate the suet feeder, check out the fallen seed, and to get a drink.  There are too many other things for them to eat this time of year so we don't see them very often.




This evening when I was putting my supper together I saw a hummingbird making sure to dip its beak into every lantana flower.  I don't like taking pictures through a screen but there was no way I could get outside without scaring away the hummer so I just snapped away.  I could watch them all day.




Tomorrow is Durwood's birthday so I made the blueberry crumble tarts we both like so much.  I had a bowl of nectarines that I was afraid would spoil before I ate them so I cut up four of them and made a second batch substituting diced nectarines for the blueberries, adding a bare 1/8 tsp. of almond extract.  As you can see, I had to eat one of the experimental tarts--just to make sure they weren't poisonous.  I'm just that noble, DD said so.



I'm making progress on the Montparnasse Eco Cardi back by knitting about 4 rows a day.  I've got to decrease about 30 more stitches so soon I'll have to measure the length, calculate how many more inches I need, and maybe increase the frequency of the decreases.  I'm feeling very good about having learned how to make a pattern fit me by measuring gauge and me.  If this thing doesn't fit... no, don't think that way, it'll fit and be fabulous.

August 4--Juan Gris, Composition on a Table.  Clearing off the table was like an archaeological dig.  There were layers and layers of newspapers, magazines, and mail, with surprises like silverware, candy, and medications tucked in spots.  Carla hated jobs like this.  It was sad enough when she was called in to clear out a house when someone died but she thought that it was worse when the person was still alive but had lost who they were.  She kept a small bin with her for the things she thought that the person might want kept if they had their wits about them.  Sometimes it was a large amount and other times it was very little.  It always made her sad.

D'you know what I did today?  Nothing.  Except for making those tarts which took all of about 20 minutes and going over to the AT&T store for a channel list for Durwood's new cable service I didn't do anything but goof off.  It felt great--and a bit self-indulgent.  I have got to get over the idea that I don't get to have do-nothing days.  Everyone needs them and I don't begrudge other people days of lolling around but me?  Nope, if I loll around, by the afternoon I feel disgustingly lazy.  *sigh*  I'm such a trial to myself.  Hey, we just had a nice, short thunderstorm with a lot of wind and rain that pelted the windows.  Ahh, I like a summer storm.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your photos could be published in National Geographic. So beautiful - even through the screen. Glad D is getting settled in at his new place. It looks nice and roomy and I know you'll make it homey for him -- and for him, you, LC and OJ. That little table and chairs set is too cute in there.