Friday, August 10, 2018

Backyard Tour

This summer has been abnormally hot and muggy or maybe just extra muggy or maybe I'm getting old and cranky if it isn't 74 degrees with about 40% humidity.  It's probably that last part.  Anyway, I woke up half an hour before my alarm today (god, I hate that) and managed to capture a bit of pink in the sky.  Not much but more than the glaring, white-hot ball of sun that's usually out by the time I'm up.




A pair of Bluejays came cawing their arrival, checked out the oriole feeder and pecked at the corn fallen below the cobs and moved on but not before I managed to snap this photo.


 



At lunchtime this male Downy Woodpecker came for a snack and for once chose the side of the feeder toward the house rather than hiding on the other side with only his tail feathers visible.  Good job, bird.







 

The butternut squash is making a real effort to make up for dropping its first squash.  Here's another flower and the two squash are appreciably bigger today than two days ago.










The Early Girl tomatoes are ripening--and the chipmunks haven't found them yet.  (I probably shouldn't have typed that...)



The strawberry tomatoes are doing their part too.






 

And last but not least another of the Shopko closeout lilies is still blooming.  I know they look white in the picture but they're white with what looks like a watercolor wash of pale lilac.  Pretty.  Too bad they don't smell as pretty as they look.


August 10--Hermes, Birkin Bag.  "My purse," the woman three rows ahead of me on the plane yelled.  "My purse is gone."  She stood there crouched so her head didn't hit the overhead compartment and her hands gripped her seat back and the one in the row in front of her.  Her face was contorted in a mix of anger and hurt.  "How stupid are you, whoever took it, to think you can get away with it?  We're all closed in here a mile above the earth.  Who do you think you are, D.B. Cooper?"  Flight attendants converged on the distraught woman and the captain turned on the "fasten seatbelts" sign.  No one noticed the wisp of smoke that seeped under the locked restroom door in First Class.

Tonight at Friday Night Knitting someone asked if I'd completely emptied the storage.  Nope.  Here's what's left.  I plan to go out there one of these days with a bucket, some Murphy's Oil Soap, and maybe some Orange Glo, tidy the stuff up, take pictures and measurements, and DIL1 will help me sell it on her employers' version of Craigslist.  Hopefully by the fall I'll be able to let the storage go and start saving the $66 monthly rent.  Time for beddie-bye.  Toodle-oo.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ahhhh - the backyard is beautiful - sunrise, birds, flowers, veggies. A veritable Garden of Eden. We're getting rid of furniture too. The very regal-looking bed is going away. Hallelujah!! The Queen is being replaced by a King come Wednesday. Gotta figure out a way to properly hang that beautiful art piece I posted on FB earlier. Want it above the bed somehow. Paul says he can make it happen. To be continued.......