Monday, October 10, 2016

Three Red Things & One Blue Thing

First red thing I saw today was the maple tree.  That tree, even in its death throes, manages to turn the prettiest shade of red on the planet.  All of the trees around are green with a few turning leaves but this one's going out in a blaze of glory.  And I mean, BLAZE.  You should see it when the sun hits it.


 
The second red thing I saw was Dad's rose blooming away.  There are single roses this time of year but they're no less pretty or fragrant than the mid-season or early versions that bloom in clumps.  I am so grateful that Dad planted a hardy rose, every time I see it I think of him and smile.  (I think of Mom when I sew, and wish I could show off LC and OJ to them both.) 



Yesterday was a very strange day.  I woke up waaaaaay too early but didn't nap so by the time it got dark I was a staggering zombie of a woman.  Luckily there were leftovers for supper so no thinking was involved or stove use so I couldn't burn or scald myself.  I bought myself a new, Android phone when I was at Walmart getting lunch fixings but didn't (and don't) have the brain cells to switch from my current phone to the new one so I got smart and called the cellphone department last night to find out when I can go in and have one of their young cellphone savvy clerks help out an old lady.



The one blue thing is the Dusky Blues sock.  I finished the heel, without screw-ups even, and knitted a few rounds of the foot but after supper, when I was at my groggiest but too stubborn to go to bed before 8:30, I dug out the double thick cloth I'm knitting (the third red thing, hey, it's got red in it, it counts) and managed a few rows before not being able to "knit 1, purl 1" successfully, so I gave up and went to bed.  But it was almost 9 o'clock so I felt better about the whole thing.  I even managed a page of prompt writing.






October 10--George H. H. Huey, Dunes & Snow, AZ.  It looked so wrong, Susan thought.  Sand dunes are not supposed to have snow on them.  It was real sand too, desert-looking sand with wind ripples and everything.  The snow was more than a dusting caught in the shadowy places.  It was melting in the early morning sun but what was there had to be an inch deep.  The scrub bushes looked dry and brittle but she was sure they'd be sporting a fuzz of green before the day was over.  Any amount of moisture was cause for celebration in a landscape as dry as this one.  She walked along noticing the gleam of an aluminum can up ahead.  Muttering about litterbugs, she reached down to pick it up but stopped when she saw the lifeless hand next to it.

Okay, then.  I have to zoom out into the kitchen and whip up three lunch salads because I get to work today.  Mrs. Boss is away this week so I get to work 3 days instead of two.  I need to shower too so I'd better get a move on.  Sayonara.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That maple tree is amazing and the lone rose a close second. Still messy around here with lots of leaves, twigs and even big branches in the front yard. Chilly too!