Thursday, December 3, 2015

Ain't No Sunshine

(sorry, Bill Withers, I know you're not singing about the weather but it popped into my head and darned if it's not stuck there) not today anyway.  There was some early this morning but by the time I left for work it was gone.  *sigh*  One of these days the sun will shine again, and for more than 10 minutes.

I worked hard on the Maze Dishcloth yesterday and am within ten over-and-back rows of being done.  I was thinking that there had to be a way to avoid the long horizontal stretches that are looser than the ones where the colors are vertical so I went back to the maze generator program and found where I'd gone astray (there's a place to set the path length which should solve that little problem) so the next time, and there will be a next time, my maze dishcloth will be a bit squarer.  Although I do think some firm blocking will do wonders for its geometry.  I like it.  I especially like the Soft Teal yarn.  I hope Sugar 'n Cream still makes it so I can get some more.  (I just checked, looks like they don't make the color anymore.  Rats.)

December 3--Christopher Marona, Summer Camp.  Bud loved summer with its wide blue skies that went on forever but he purely hated living out at summer camp.  Maybe if the stingy rancher built actual cabins for them to sleep in instead of the mildewed and mouse-chewed Army surplus canvas tents that had been out there for years.  At each one there was a locked box with an iron skillet, a blue-speckled coffee pot, a few tin plates, and some snaggle-toothed forks for them to cook and eat with. "He thinks we're in the wild west," Charlie said, "like he expects John Wayne or the Lone Ranger to come over the hill to sign on."  Bud shook his head.  "No, he's just too cheap to lay out any money on things and people that are easily replaced.  The whole family's like that."  "Except you," said Charlie.  "Except me," Bud said as he dished up beans and ham from the skillet onto their plates.

That came out easy last night and here I thought I'd never come up with word one when I saw the picture.  Gives me faith that my brain's not slipped completely off it's rails, not just yet.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Hey - you're right! I do like the new layout of the blog. So we're not too old to change -- you to actually make a change and me to accept it! Loved talking with you last night. Nice to share our lives with each other so easily. Remember when long-distance was only for BIG news??? And not always good news??? Hope your hubby watched the Pack get a miracle win last night. I gave up on them early in the first quarter!! Guess I'm a fair weather fan.