Saturday, March 15, 2014

I Wonder What the Poor People Are Eating Tonight?

(Mom used to say that when we were having something especially delicious for supper.)  Last night Durwood and I took DD to have supper at Kroll's, a venerable Green Bay burger joint directly across the street from the Packer stadium which is a local institution.  Every high school kid for decades has eaten a Kroll's burger with fries or fried cheese curds or onion rings with a malt or shake after a football or basketball game or it might have been the site of their first date.  I think there might be a city ordinance about needing to eat a Kroll's hamburger, especially if you've moved away.  Anyway, we went and gorged ourselves.  For the uninitiated, a Kroll's hamburger is a 1/4# patty of Kingsford charcoal grilled, whole ground beef, served on a hard roll with pickles, onion (fried if you'd like), catsup, and a PAT OF BUTTER ON TOP before they put on the lid.  They're served wrapped chastely in waxed paper with their provenance scrawled on the paper in grease pencil.  I like mine with cheese (to ramp up the fat and cholesterol content, you know, so I can hear my arteries hardening and my heart slowing).  Durwood got a double (needless to say, his gout had something to say about that in the wee hours and is still grumbling) and we agreed to order onion rings AND cheese curds (mixed yellow & white) and share (DD got her own curds so there wasn't an unseemly battle over fried cheese).  We all three stuck with water to drink, didn't want to go overboard.  You're very sorry you weren't there.  Very.


DD got to feed the chickens for the first time yesterday.  Porter showed me that she was still a pretty pup.  We didn't stay long, things to do, DD's girlfriends to meet, so Durwood and I struck out for errand-land on our own.  Went to Office Max to get him a new chair (his old one was trash) and off to Woodman's to buy ALL the groceries.  We're a dangerous duo in the grocery store, we usually choose healthy things but we always choose more than is on the list, sometimes more than we have designated grocery money for, but we always manage to eat what we buy.  We made big inroads in the produce department, big, lots of yummy green things came home with us.  Cabbage and onions and potatoes and carrots and broccoli and Brussels sprouts and celery and oranges and bananas.  We love veggies.  Tonight we're celebrating St. Paddy's Day a little early because DD drives off home tomorrow, so Durwood's got the brisket in the crockpot and we'll roast potatoes and steam the cabbage later.  DD and I are making homemade chocolate pudding for dessert.  (not the Jell-o stuff, the real stuff with cocoa and sugar and cornstarch and stirring on the stove)  You TOTALLY wish you were here for that.

When I pulled the van out waiting for Durwood before our errands yesterday I noticed something--green grass.  Just a peek of it at the melting edge of the giant drift in front of the house.  Look!  That there's green grass!  It's still under there after all!  You understand that it can snow here into the middle of May but this gives me hope that one day green and warmth will prevail.

I didn't prompt write last night, I was exhausted.  I was so tired I left Friday Night Knitting half an hour early.  *gasp!*  I fell into bed before 10, turned out the light, and that's all I remember until about 7:30 this morning.  I feel a bit better now.  Enjoy your day.
--Barbara

No comments: