Friday, March 2, 2012

Beware, Snowstorm Crystal's On Her Way!

I decided not to poke your eyes out with all the exclamation marks the weathermen are using to describe the potential for snow starting this afternoon. Once again they are using their adrenal glands to incite the rest of us to the danger of the little white flakes in our future. They use words like "slick" and "slam" to make the rest of us scurry around like crazed weasels. I think it's a ploy to distract us so we don't realize how often they are totally WRONG about the weather. I can already hear the excuses, "yeah, but you would've been ready if it had come" and other piffle like that. Lame. My friend Skully is deathly ill with a virus so isn't up for walking today. I intend to go anyway with Porty McPorterpants because it's good for me to get dragged down the trail by a dog. Actually she's doing better at the walking thing. DS & DIL1 have one of those retractable leashes so I gave her about 20' of leash so she could sniff in the tall grass at the edge of the trail and it worked great. Less tugging on me and more freedom for her. I printed off the March quilt block patterns yesterday at work so I'm chomping at the bit to get down to my studio and get to planning the fabrics. That'll be a fun way to spend a snowy weekend. I'm doing well sticking to not cheating on my diet. I guess I was cheating more than I thought I was because even though I'm having a few pretzels at night (for the salt and crunch) I've still logged a loss the last 4 mornings on the Wii. Now, I do know that daily weighing isn't the way to go but I'm using it as a sign that I'm being a good girl. We'll see the real effect on Monday morning when I weigh on the balance scale in the bathroom, but I'm sure that I'm on the right track and a month of being a "good girl" should ingrain some good habits again. That and getting back to being active. It's a whole lot easier to go for a walk when the weather is nice. I really dislike walking in the mall and I refuse to pay over $300 smackers to join a gym just to use the walking track. The one I'd join is way across town and I'm just not that dedicated. I am totally thrilled to have the next 3 days off. The last 2 weeks of working all the days but one has made me feel like I was always there and never had time off. I'm happy to be back in my usual rut.

March 1--Johannes Vermeer, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher. Mariette was always the first one up. She opened the window over the canal and brought water in for washing up. No one else was so willing to give up sleep than Mariette. Papa praised her for being such a good girl which only made the rest of the sisters resent her. They teased that she should be a nun because no normal girl was so reliably well-behaved and so willing. "That's what servants are for," Helene said. She was the youngest and prettiest sister, all the young men in town gathered around her.

I have the feeling mean girls finish first. I'm off to be Porter's anchor. Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So glad you have Porter in your life. Those retractable leashes are wonderful when you're walking along a trail. Hope you don't get too much bad weather.