Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thursday On Saturday

Today's the "real" Thanksgiving, at least for us. Today's the day that Mom, DS, and DIL come to eat turkey and all the trimmings. Today I get to cut into the loaves of onion bread (finally) and have seconds of Mom's to-die-for green bean casserole. (The recipe is from Aunt Barbara and it's from 1962. It's a family heirloom.) It's not your run of the mill Campbell's Soup with beans and those fried onions; the sauce starts in a double boiler with flour and butter, there's milk and cream, Soy sauce and sharp cheddar, sauteed onions and mushrooms before you ever get to the french cut beans. You stir it all together, top it with sliced almonds and bake it until it's bubbly. I love it and I only get to have it once or twice a year (thank God, or I'd be a blimp). Today's the first time I'll eat it in 2010. I can't wait! So today's really Thursday, or it will be once I get the bathroom cleaned, Durwood finishes dusting, and we share the vacuuming. We're cleaning fiends!

November 26--Viti Levu. "Viti Levu," Kara read, "is the largest island of Figi." Leo leaned over to whisper, "Is that like being the best matador in Des Moines?" She swatted him away. "You goofball." She refolded the tourism association brochure and tucked it into her bag. "I like to know about the places we visit, you know that." She turned to look out the tiny airplane window. He leaned across her pressing her back in her seat. "Whattaya see out there?" She sighed. "Only the plane's lights flashing on the clouds. I wish were were landing in the daylight. How can the pilot find an island in the dark?" He heard the edge of panic in her voice and put his arm around her. "Hey, don't worry. I'll bet the natives know to light bonfires when the big silver birds come." She couldn't help herself, she giggled. He had teased her out of her silly near-panic. She felt better nestled into his shoulder and was nearly asleep when there was a loud clunk, the plane shook, and the oxygen masks dropped out of the overheads.

I would be totally pissed if I croaked on the way TO a vacation. I would be less so if I were coming home, not that I'm looking to snuff it or anything but I think my eternity (if there is one) would be happier if I'd just finished a nice long vacation. It's only logical. Enjoy your day, even if it's not Thanksgiving at your house.
--Barbara

No comments: