Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's Cold Outside

Winter-coat-cold. When did we vote on that??? I didn't get the memo. I'd like it to go back to the way it was last week, you know, mid-60-ish in the day and 40s at night. No more of this frost in the morning and cold all day crap, thanks anyway. At least the sun's trying to shine today. I just fold when it's all gray and dreary. I think I'd like a time-out, some quiet corner where I can sit and regroup, where I don't have to work or do stuff around the house, don't have a list of "shoulds" as long as my arm, don't have someone wanting me to help him on the computer or make decisions at all. I'm tired and teetering on the edge of weepy. And I took the bike rack off my car the other day which means I have acknowledged that I won't be bike riding until spring, it's just too chilly out there. I know, I know, I'm a wimp but I don't want the rack collecting snow. Ugh, snow. I'm really glad I don't live in Minnesota, aren't you? At least I don't have to shovel the cold...yet. Enough bitching, on to better things.

November 15--Maldives. Gina and Dave led a completely changed life when they moved to the Maldives. The temperature was constant, rain or shine, it never got hotter than 87 degrees or cooler than 75 degrees. Wind was what determined whether they ate in the front garden by the road or the back garden by the sea. Gina thought that was backwards, that the front of the house and the front garden should face the sea. "But we can't just jack the house up and twirl it around," Dave said flinging his hands up after she'd groused about it for the umpteenth time. She thought it would be dramatic for guests to arrive at the back of the house in a sparse and subdued garden. They could traverse the center hall toward the front of the house with its lush garden and view of the endless sea and sky. She knew it would be the talk of the island if only Dave, Chase their houseman, and the gardeners Hakeem and Peko would see her vision.

Rearranging the furniture is so passe, let's just rearrange the whole ecosystem! You go, Gina! (She is so not gonna win.) Happy Tuesday.
--Barbara

No comments: