Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Can I Be Any Less Inspired?

I totally hate this feeling of malaise and no inspiration or energy. I hate it, do you hear? I need to fix this and I don't know how. Grrr. Nice images in your piece, Bob, especially the ripe moon's open mouth. Excellent choice of adjectives, very vivid.

August 18--At the other end of the street--Down at the end of my street there's this house. You know what I mean, right? It doesn't quite match the rest of the houses. Oh, let's be honest, it doesn't measure up to the rest of the houses up and down our street. All the rest of the houses are painted one color, one tasteful color, with an appropriate accent color. That house is painted in five different colors. Five. I counted them, like there was a paint tornado that blew through town. Up and down the street everyone's front garden is so symmetrical and tidy. You can tell that the homeowners spent a lot of time making sure things were just right. The five-color house's garden is a riot of flowers and shrubs, roses and dahlias and hollyhocks and hydrangeas, all jumbled together and flowing like a river of spilled crayons over the not-mowed-often-enough lawn. If you can call it a lawn.

August 19--Write about the silent treatment--That's right. You just sit there not talking because you're mad, because you think I did something bad to hurt your feelings. You sit there hugging your righteous anger to your chest and feeling ill-used. Poor you. The only weapon you think you have to wield is the withholding of your conversation. Ooh, big deal. You're not talking to me. Am I bleeding? Nope. Any broken bones? Not even close. My feelings aren't even hurt. So there. Why can't you be like a normal person and just fight? Cry and scream and rant? Normal people yell back, they have arguments. It's not normal to sail around the house with a hurt look on your face and your lips clenched so tight that they're white. It's not hurting me. I can even smile and poke you to show how unaffected I am by your silence. Oh, see? You jumped away and frowned at me. I'll try it again. Maybe that'll make you talk. Nope, your silence isn't bothering me one bit.

Gotta get ready for work. See you a week from tomorrow with Jenny's critique.
--Barbara

No comments: