Saturday, August 30, 2008

Doing the Happy Dance!

I'm doing the Happy Dance because I sat myself down late yesterday afternoon and zoomed right through the last four comments on Horizon and now the rewrite is done! Done, do you hear? Done! I printed out all 304 pages so I can take it to The Clearing next weekend as my reading material for the week, and once I'm sure that it is as perfect as I can make it, I'll write a synopsis and start working to find an agent. Eek! How's that for a scary prospect? Big rejections on the horizon, I'm guessing. *snork* I made a pun.

August 29--My mother once told me--Some things you never forget. Uncle Oscar told us when we asked why his left thumb was shorter than the right one that he'd had to snap it so much at the laborers to get them to get to work that he wore it right down. It made perfect sense. After all, what kid hadn't worn down a crayon from too much coloring? I always believed our second babysitter, Jonny Lou Bell, that she had been a ballerina. She was small and slender with dark brown skin and she wore white nurse dresses and she wrapped her head in colorful cloth turbans. She was exotic looking and reminded me of pictures of Egyptian queens. She'd tell me stories of when she was on the stage, lifting her arms and leg in an arabesque. I believed her. Mama snorted when I told her and she said Jonny Lou Bell was lying, that she hadn't ever been a ballerina on stage. I secretly thought Mama was wrong and I was sorry when Jonny Lou Bell left. I guess I've always been gullible, ready to believe a romantic story over dry facts. I'm not that different now.

Enjoy your weekend.
--Barbara

No comments: