Sunday, October 15, 2017

When Will I Be In Charge?

I feel like I have big plans for my days and then the day takes over and my plans get shunted aside.  I was going to sew today and here it is nearly 9 PM and I haven't sewn a stitch.  I stayed up too late last night and got the yoke pieces sewn to the dress pieces and the front sewed to the back.  I was gonna put on the neck and armhole binding, attach the pockets, and hem this dress but, no-o-o-o-o, I had to go to a grocery or two, do a few outdoor chores once it stopped raining, and then make supper.  I woke up at 7 o'clock this morning, you'd think there would be time for me to wander downstairs and fire up a sewing machine and iron.  Didn't happen.  Maybe tomorrow.
A comment was made that I'm cramming my closet full with these new clothes I'm making but I read somewhere online that when you change clothes for the season you should turn the hangers backwards so that you can see what you've worn and what's taking up space.  I've been doing that for the last few months.  When I started sewing after I retired I decided that I wanted to wear only clothes that make me feel good so I'm working my way toward that goal.  So far more clothes are coming out than going in.  I intend to keep it that way.


Last Friday night I got Sudoku Long Strip #2 crocheted onto Panel #2 and got Panel #3 clipped to the other side of the strip.  This afghan is enormous, way bigger than I imagined it would be.  I was thinking lap robe but this has all the makings of a bedspread.









Once I finished the Long Strip I got the Crazy Z Reds sock out again.  After not having worked on it for a while I confess that I had to tink (k-n-i-t backwards) a round when I didn't pay close enough attention to where I left off but I do like this pattern and I like the yarn--except when it gets caught in the zipper of the project bag.






One of the things I did today was bring in the bay leaf plant and avocado #2, both of which spent the summer outside.  Something was munching away on the edges of the avocado leaves but it doesn't seem to mind.  I also dug up the rosemary and planted it in an old coffee pot.  I want to keep the rosemary because it's one of my favorite herbs but I love the look of the old coffee pot too and want to have it back in the house (since I overwatered and killed the plant that was in it when I bought it).



Supper tonight was another WW triumph--marinated flank steak and green pepper rice.  Both recipes we haven't tried before, both deeeelicious.  I did not take a picture, I just ate my supper.  Trust me, it was good.  Now we have three evenings worth of supper in the fridge.  I love when we do that.  It makes things so easy on weeknights even though we're both retired and you'd think one or the other of us could manage to make supper.  Maybe we're getting lazy in our old age.

October 15--Annibale Carracci, The Stoning of Saint Stephen.  The first rock came out of nowhere slamming into Steve's head just above his right ear.  He hadn't heard anyone following him.  Had they been lying in wait crouched in the shadows until he came along?  That first rock was a signal.  Immediately rocks came at him from every direction, launched by hands but propelled by angry words.  Steve didn't know why they were stoning him.  To be honest, he wasn't exactly sure who was doing it.

Good lord, it's 9:30 already.  Time sure flies when you're having a life.  Nighty-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

No wonder it's taken so long to finish that afghan. It does look enormous -- and very impressive. Love the rosemary in the vintage coffee pot. Just the kind of "junque" that calls my name. Your tip about turning the hangars around is a good one and glad you'll have plenty of room in your closet for all your new duds.