Monday, October 2, 2017

The End

Oh, don't get excited, I'm not ending the blog and I haven't gotten to the end of my novel
rewrite.  Today on my errand round I went over to get corn from the Sunny Hill wagon and they weren't there.  In a panic I immediately pulled into the parking lot (not the Ace Hardware parking lot, the DQ parking lot; why pull in for hardware when you can pull in for a restorative ice cream treat?) and called the farm.  The geezer who answered the phone said he had a cart of corn there that was the end of corn for 2017.  I nearly fainted but hung onto a shred of consciousness well enough to memorize the directions to the farmstand out in the boonies.  I drove straight there and bought a dozen ears.  You may notice that there are 14 ears.  The old guy kept talking so I kept losing count so he added 2 extra ears--and charged me for one of them.  If I'd known he was going to do that I'd have counted them and given two back.  (to be honest, probably not)  Just last night Durwood said, "we need to have corn every day until it runs out" which is why I went to get a few ears not knowing that I'd have to go on a quest for the last of the last of the corn.  Good thing it wasn't that far, only 5.8 miles according to the map in my phone.  In truth, I'd have gone farther.  This corn is that good.


I'm finally wearing the black linen pair of Pants No. 1 I made a couple months back.  I'd made the waist elastic too long so they didn't sit right on my waist so the other day I ripped out a bit of the casing at the back and cut out about 8 inches.  Much better, although I think they're too full to look real good cropped.  It just occurred to me that I should retrace the pattern pieces and grade the legs from my waist and arse size to the next smaller legs so I don't feel like I'm wearing clown pants AND the next pair I'll make full length to see if I like that better.  These simple patterns have given me permission or maybe the guts to change things here and there so the garments I make are what I want.  I need to finish a few things I promised to a certain little girl before plunging back head first into sewing more clothes for myself.  I can cut out doll clothes tonight while I watch Antiques Roadshow and maybe sew a bit tomorrow morning...

Speaking of that certain little girl I went to Office Depot to see if one of their techs could help
me figure out why the USB drive I used all week at The Clearing stopped working when I got home. (he couldn't)  Not to worry, I learned long ago after my computer ate its own brain and a lot of my writings along with it never to save things in only one place so my work is on this hard drive and also on two or three USB drives.  Not losing all that work ever again.  A-a-a-a-anyway, since I was in the store I cruised the clearance bins and found this purple fur pencil case.  I do believe that LC will find it the perfect purse, don't you?



I have been a very project-faithful knitter for the last couple weeks and have almost 48" of Sudoku Long Strip #2 knitted.  Just a little over a foot to go.  I can do it!




Once again, I awoke just before 6 o'clock and it's pretty much pitch black at that time of the morning.  But soon enough the sky starts to lighten and even turn pink for a very short time.  It stayed warmish overnight so I could do yoga outside again and watch the sky change.  Ahhh.


October 2--Albert Bernard, Family Portrait.  "There," Shelly said, pointing at the photograph in my hand, "there standing back by Granny.  That's Uncle Erich.  He always stood like that, with his hands turned back on his hips.  I think he must have been gay."  I nodded.  "Oh, I remember now but I was the baby so he was gone by the time I got big enough to really know him."  I rubbed my thumb over the photograph.  "I barely remember Granny except as an old woman all in black."  Shelly said, "She scared me."  "Me too," Piper said, "she was always keeping an eye on us, like we were going to blow the place up."  "Well, Larry almost did that year he got a chemistry set," I said. "Look how innocent he looks there, not like he was planning how to terrorize us."  Piper shivered.  "I'm glad he's gone."  Shelly and I were quiet, not brave enough to agree with her but we were glad he was gone too.  He had made our lives hell.

And now I think I'll go keep the laundry moving (it was sheet changing and therefore sheet washing day) and then fling some of that precious corn in the microwave to start supper.  Maybe we'll just eat corn and tomatoes and the hell with meat... although we do have some of that lovely rotisserie pork from Saturday left...
--Barbara

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a lovely soothing read on a day that has been so universally awful. Thanks, Barbara!

Aunt B said...

Whew!! You scared me there for a minute and although I'm sad for you that corn season has ended, at least "blog season" is forever! Glad you liked my consignment store find of the inaugural invitation. I plan to frame it and pretend it was really meant for us.