Monday, October 23, 2017

One Fixed, Actually Two



Well.  I wore that navy linen dress with the floral yoke yesterday in hopes that I'd grow used to the length and decide that it didn't need to be chopped off and re-hemmed after all.  No such luck.  By supper time I was so annoyed with it clinging and flapping around my shins that I was tempted to fling it downstairs to fix itself.  That won't happen.  So I went down, measured it against the pattern piece to see where to cut, cut it off, pinned up the new hem and got it sewed.  Nothing photo worthy about that.  While working on that (which didn't require much thought) I instead thought about how to fill in the too wide and too low neckline of the 2 Tunics I made.  I ended up tracing the edge I wanted on a remnant using a marking pencil, then matching the part that needed filling in and marking that edge.  I cut it out adding seam allowance where it would overlap, then I finished the new neckline before pinning it into place and carefully sewing it in.  It's not perfect, not by a long shot but it makes the Tunic more wearable, at least it will be when I unearth a long-sleeved t-shirt to wear under it.  It'schilly and damp today, not a day to be wearing a cotton and linen top without something warmer underneath.  There's another tunic to be adjusted but I'm still thinking about how I'm going to tackle that.  It's the one I defaulted to a 5/8" seam on so it's a bit snug in the boob and underarms so I've got to figure out how to insert a gusset in there AND fill in the neckline like I did yesterday.  One of these days I'll learn to cut out a new pattern and sew it up before cutting out any more.

I was surprised this morning when I looked out the window to see how foggy it was.  I didn't order fog, did you?  I don't think the temperature changed all that drastically so that the land was that much warmer than the air (which cooled off quite a bit in the last 48 hours) and then there was all that rain and drizzle adding moisture but... fog?  Really?  Makes me feel like I need a nap, all day.



October 23--Louis Beroud, The Central Hall at the Universal Exhibition, Paris, 1889.  Cele stood on the observation bridge and watched the people in the hall below.  She thought there must be someone there from every country of the world.  The voices rose in a buzzing echo.  She picked out a word here and there but it sounded like it does when you hold a seashell to your ear.

I woke up, face down on my notebook, an hour later.  I took it as a sign that I should take off my glasses, put my pencil and notebook on the nightstand, and turn out the light.  I had planned to sew on another dress today but a friend called and invited me to meet her and her mom for lunch so I did and then I did a little shopping so when I got home it seemed like it was too late to sew.  Not that I haven't ever sewn in the afternoon or even the evening, for that matter...  Maybe it's the dreary day.  Tomorrow seems like it should be laundry day so that'll give me a reason to be downstairs most of the day.  Good plan.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are diligent about figuring out how to fix that too big neckline. I commend you for not just giving up and moving on to your next project. Season's changing down here too. Supposed to have a high of ONLY in the 80's tomorrow. Snowbirds coming back from up north reminds me of how we'd see dolphins out in the waterway heading south when we lived in Wilmington.