Monday, October 9, 2017

Lots to Show You

 



I didn't find any mums at ShopKo yesterday afternoon.  None at ALDI.  None outside Walmart. But at Meijer, there they were.  And for only $4.49 each.  Woohoo!  Score.  I picked out a cranberry one and a red-gold one, got them home, and got them planted and watered tout suite.  I am sorely tempted to go back for white ones and yellow ones but these are enough.  I hope they stay alive.  (I should have taken their picture before I planted them, then they'd both be in the same frame.)






I got up nice and early this morning and got right out to do yoga because I wanted to go write this morning.  To prove that yoga changes things, the top photo is the drab and cloudy eastern sky at around 7 o'clock.  The bottom photo is the eastern sky at around 7:20.  See?  Yoga can change your world.  Or at least make it more bendy.








Today was shrimp truck day.  While I waited in line an Asian lady about my age came up and asked if they took credit cards.  I said, no, only cash and checks.  She commented that checks were harder to deal with than credit cards but we decided that the fee made cards unprofitable for a fisherman.  Then her husband came up and gave a nice, informative lecture about how much they shrink when you cook the shrimp, even quoting percentages of how much they shrink by type.  Evidently he used to be in the seafood business but his wife was embarrassed and hurried him away.  I didn't mind, he was kind of interesting and didn't talk me out of getting my 3# of shrimp for the freezer.



When I got home from getting the shrimp there was a big box on the porch.  My prize came!  I kept my priorities in order and got the shrimp divided and into the freezer before digging into the big box of yarn.  See?  




I had lots of fun pulling out each skein, petting it, and then putting it aside to pull out another one.  I'll get it all entered into my Ravelry account over the next few days and then I can start thinking about what it all might want to be.  There's some gorgeous "natural" tan colored tweed in there.  How did they know that I'm a fool for tweed?  And notice that skein of pale lilac yarn at the lower right of the second picture.  That's 600 yards of silk laceweight yarn.  Oh. My.

 


Then there was one of their books in the box because also in the box was an MDK canvas bag with enough of the pattern specified yarn to knit a mitered square blanket and the pattern's in the book. (I love that some of the yarn is crocheted into a granny square; it'll get pulled out, or maybe I'll just sew it into the blanket when I make it... hmm) Plus there was a nice pair of wooden needles and a dog sweater kit.  I'm so lucky and grateful that the random number generator picked me.  There'll be a thank you note winging their way tomorrow.




October 9--Giuseppe Arcimboldo, The Vegetable Gardener.  Mr. Potter spent almost all of his days in his garden.  No matter what time they looked he was there.  The neighbors compared notes from time to time.  "I saw him out hoeing his beans as the sun rose," said Karen whose backyard butted up to Mr. Potter's garden.  "When I walk Fernando he always bows and tips his hat," said Trudy.  "He never says a word," Lyle said. "Does he talk to you?" Karen said, "No."  Trudy shook her head.  "You know, he's starting to look like what he grows."  The other two weren't sure that they'd heard her right.  Lyle said, "What do you mean?"  "Well," said Trudy, "look at his hat.  I think it looks like a flower pot and his nose looks like a parsnip."  Karen and Lyle's eyes met.  Karen spoke up.  "When have you gotten close enough to see that?"

Durwood napped all afternoon.  I woke him about an hour ago so it's probably time to get some spaghetti and meatballs cooking.  Ta-ta.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a haul of yarn you won. You won't have a reason to buy any for at least a year! Yeah, right! But so much fun to find that big box on your doorstep. Like early Christmas.