Saturday, October 28, 2017

The True End of Summer

 


The true end of summer is when you take the garden apart and that's what I have to do tomorrow or maybe Monday.  I looked over there when I opened the drapes this morning and saw this lone daisy bravely shining out.  As I got closer there was a pair of red nasturtium flowers huddled together in the straw (not hay; hay is feed, it has seeds, straw is bedding, it doesn't).  I spied a small Butternut squash that had been hiding under some leaves.  Those I won't pick until after the first frost, they're tastier then.









I reached a milestone last night at knitting.  I got Sudoku Panel #3 crocheted to Sudoku Long Strip #2.  Now all that's left to do is weave in a few tails and put some kind of edge around it.  I'm torn between grabbing a little bit bigger crochet hook and just going around a few times or picking up stitches and knitting an I-cord edge.  I think the hook will win, it'll go faster.  But I'm getting there.





When KS and I were at Spin on Thursday all of the Noro yarn was on sale.  I love the colors of Noro and I purely dislike the roughness and excess of what they call "vegetable matter" in it.  There are small twigs and pieces of leaves and plants and I just don't like knitting it.  But.  There was a shop sample hanging on the column of bins right behind me and I liked the look of the scarf pattern even if I'm not a fan of the yarn and, lo and behold, the pattern was written on the back of the little tag.  Snap, snap with my cellphone and it's all mine.





Speaking of cellphones, I totally lost patience with my new cellphone turning the volume down all on its own and restarting in "safe mode" which meant none of the apps worked.  So I had to take off the back, take out the battery, slide out the SD card, push it back, reinstall the battery, and put the back on.  Then it would start with all the apps available even though by taking out the battery it turned off and had to turn back on.  It drove me In.Sane.  The last straw was this morning when it kept turning my guided meditation down, I'd turn it up, and it would turn itself down again as soon as I set it back down.  Arrrgh.  Naturally I couldn't find my receipt but fortunately I'd ordered it online to pick it up in the store the same day so I had that paperwork.  Whew.  Anyway, most of my stuff--contacts, photos, and app stuff gets saved to the Samsung cloud so I didn't lose much by switching phones.  I love technology.  Someday I'll get a "latest model" phone or maybe I just need a different protective case for this one...

October 28--Robert John Thornton, The Superb Lily, Gloriosa Superba.  The lilies seemed to snap open in a whorl around the stem looking like upside-down Turk's hats.  The speckled petals curled back on themselves exposing their pollen-heavy anthers for any passing bee.  The red and creamy yellow flowers made Celia think of apple peels in the fall and the fragrance was so heady she was surprised the bees didn't get drunk from it.

I was kind of a slacker in the self-care arena this week so I'm proud to say that I did yoga and meditated early this morning and did 10 minutes of step aerobics before I got dressed.  Then I went to the birdseed store where they're having their annual sale so I got a 50# bag of peanuts in the shell, another 50# bag of safflower seeds, and a 12-pack of suet cakes.  They carry them to the van but I have to carry them through the house to the patio where they live in the cans.  Then I went to Sam's where I was in the line with the broken check printer, had to go back to the back of the store for an item I missed, after that I did battle with Walmart (it wasn't really a battle, more like a skirmish) to get my defective cellphone exchanged for a different one a day after the exchange limit.  Oh, and I stopped at Meijer for broccoli and grapes and navel oranges and to look for the kind of kitchen hand soap they evidently no longer make.  Naturally the health & beauty dept. is across the store from produce.  I think I probably "made my steps" for the day.  I think I'll go scoop myself out some ice cream.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are the busy girl with all your running around. But sounds like you got a lot accomplished. Hate it when your phone fights with you. They're wonderful when everything is working but maddening when something isn't. Drat it!! Summer winding down here means so many snowbirds returning from up north. Lots more women at bridge yesterday.