Tuesday, October 24, 2017

I Could Have Sworn I Did This Earlier

But when I sat down to look something up there was yesterday's post but nothing for today.  Dang it.  So here goes.

It was another chilly, windy, rainy day in beautiful Green Bay.  The leaf-picker-uppers came by, but of course over the last couple days the wind spread the leaves that I raked last week and all the newly fallen ones back over the front lawn of the rental side and, since it was raining, I couldn't (or didn't) race out to rake them so they'd get them on the next pass.  It'll dry out and they'll be back.  I think they pick up leaves into the second week of November so there's still time.  I had to zoom out for bananas at Kwik Trip, stop at ALDI for prunes, and pick up a pizza at Papa Murphy's (it's $10 Tuesday, you know, any large pizza is ten bucks, that's two meals for us) and this sky greeted me as I left ALDI.  I'm a sucker for a purple/peach/pink sky.  There had to be a narrow slit in the clouds to let the glorious light through.


Instead of raking leaves I sewed.  And did a mountain of laundry.  Laundry, dirty or clean, I don't have a photo of but I do have a couple photos of the latest version of Dress No. 1 that I worked on.  I'm going to Sturgeon Bay to meet a friend for lunch on Thursday and now I'll have something new to wear.  Yay, me!  I used black bias binding on the neckline but didn't have enough to do the armholes, so I used red for them.  Sonya Philip, the pattern designer, makes her own bias binding from remnants of the fabrics she makes the clothes with but I have three or four shoeboxes of Mom's bias and hem tapes so I'm using that before I take a stab at making my own.  Waste not, want not.  All that's left is to get the pockets ready to apply and sewn on, then the hem pinned up and sewn.  No problem getting those things done tomorrow.



In the course of doing laundry I pulled out all my fall/winter tops, put them on the clean clothes hanging pipe, and put the clean and dry summer tops into storage.  Over the next day or two I'll get all the summer stuff downstairs and bring the winter stuff up.  And I didn't forget to turn the fall/winter hangers backwards in the closet to see what really gets worn.  I am sad to say that this is not all that needs carrying up.  I have too many clothes--and I'm sewing more.  Where's the logic in that?


October 24--Jacopo Bassano, Two Hunting Dogs Tied to a Stump.  "And keep them damned dogs outside."  Lurene stood on the porch with her hands on her generous hips, feet spread apart as if daring Ralph to argue.  He didn't even look her way.  He tied a piece of frayed cord around a skinny tree off in the side yard and looped one end through Sorrel's collar and the other end through Fleet's collar.  "Damned dogs, she calls you," he said as he ruffled their ears.  "Who does she think brings back those birds she likes to fry up and eat?  Fairies?"  The dogs looked up at him and whined.  "I know what you mean.  She's got a lot of nerve keeping you out there."  He patted each dog on the shoulder.  "I'll see what I can do."  He straightened up and ambled toward the house almost expecting Lurene to come out on the porch to tell him to stay outside too  Part of him wished she would.

Now it's time to take the trash to the curb and then go downstairs to rescue the last load from the dryer.  A woman's work is never done.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, you probably do have too many clothes but it's nice to have something new to wear to lunch. Love the routine of the hangers. Smart cookie!!